• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8Z68V PRO Auto Tune Issue with 3ds max

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radicalgel

Hi,

This is my first post here. I basically run a design firm and do a lot of 3d rendering so I recently picked up a rig with the following specs:

ASUS P8Z68 V PRO
i7 2600K 3.4GHz
G Skill 2x4Gb 1600Mhz (Ripjaws)
Nvidia Quadro 600
CoolerMaster CM690II Basic Cabinet (2 cabinet fans)

Here is my problem. When I go into the BIOS Utility 'EZ Mode' and set 'ASUS Optimal' as the system performance setting, even basic 3ds Max renders cause my CPU to quickly heat and reach warning temperatures (~95 - 100 degrees C). When I switch back to 'Normal' mode in the BIOS CPU temp maxes out at 65 degrees C. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. Do I need to fiddle with fan speeds etc.. to ensure cooling. I am a n00b at OCing so I hope someone here can help me out.

PS: I just have the stock fan on the i7 and no other special/additional cooling.

You can't do much, especially with the 2600K, on the stock cooler. The extra cache causes a lot more heat vs the 2500. You need an aftermarket cooler.

As you're doing design work I'd say system stability was more important so I would not use TPU/auto tune.

It's easy enough, especially on that board, as I've used it in a very similar config, to overclock the CPU manually. More so than many other Z68 boards.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...P67-Series-Overclocking-Guide-and-Information

Read that if you have a moment

Also, you'll want to pick up an after market CPU cooler. Depends what kind of overclock you are after. for 4.4Ghz or less on a 2600 get a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for about 25 bucks.

Basically all you need to do to overclock sandybridge is pick a speed like say 4.4Ghz, set your CPU voltage, make sure load line calibration is on, and that's it.

Usually 1.28 to 1.35V are needed for 4.4 so try 1.33 to start.
Then just run prime 95 (free) in blend mode for a few hours to make sure it's stable. If it is you can start turning the voltage down until it crashes. Then bump it back up a notch and there's your lowest volt stable overclock for that CPU speed. Voltage is what = heat.

You can also just use the TPU switch on the motherboard which gives you 4.4 something Ghz. If you do that go back into the bios and turn the BCLK frequency back down to 100. It attempts to overclock the BCLK by default. I don't like that on a business machine. This auto overclocking will give you a possibly less stable and more 'coarse' overclock result. Better to do it yourself.

BTW have you kept an eye on your RAM while rendering? A lot of people who do heavy rendering work opt for 16GB.

Hope that wasn't confusing.

BTW have you kept an eye on your RAM while rendering? A lot of people who do heavy rendering work opt for 16GB.

Hope that wasn't confusing.

Wow! Thanks so much for that prompt reply.. Was very easy to understand. About the 16GB, I noticed that 3ds Max is only utilizing 2 Gb out of my 8Gb available. That is rather absurd. Is there a way to force it to use more to improve viewport response and quicken render times?

Back