• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good deal for 2TB Seagate Barracuda - $59.99?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crap... 1 per customer. So much for using 'em for RAID. ;)

I've got 4... wondering if I could use more. Could set up an account under the wife's name for a pair.

For large storage systems using current drives

hitachi > samsung > wd > seagate

of course this depends on the drive series, intended use, and a high degree of personal preference.

of course this depends on the drive series, intended use, and a high degree of personal preference.

What he said. I'd take the Hitachi over the Seagate, even with the rebate hassle

I'd say. The seagates are reportedly the fastest green drives available...

I have three, but just got them so no word on reliability. Two are in a Raid 1 setup on my media server and the third is used as a video import storage drive. The WD green drives apparently have more problems than these or I would have gone with them.

The issue with seagate is possible reliability issues given past trends. They are likely fine, especially in smaller groups, but most users who are more demanding on hdds have not even gave seagate a second look after the 7200.11. Is this fair? Hardly but it is hard to fault them for not even putting them through the paces.

Hitachi has had the best reliability statistically for awhile now and with this gen they finally got past their 5 platter designs using lower density platters. Therefore there is little reason to look elsewhere given current prices in my opinion but that is just me.

WD drives have been bad for large storage systems as WD wants users to pay more for in some case crucial features that used to be free. Samsung also has had issues with their recent drive series but they have been very minor.

I have 3 of the Seagate drives in service now with no issues so far. They certainly have the best $/GB ratio right now and are far, far faster than the WD greens (I've had 17 out of 20 WD green 1.5-2TB drives fail; the Seagates are their replacements).

i have the 3gb/sec baracudda .. is there that much of a diff in noticeable speed between the 3 and 6 7200 rpm drives?

i have the 3gb/sec baracudda .. is there that much of a diff in noticeable speed between the 3 and 6 7200 rpm drives?

Should probably make a separate thread for this question, as this is the CyberDeals section. That said, interesting that your user popped up, you're posting alot since you joined (today). ;)

Seagates have had bad reliability problems. If I remember correctly some are made in Taiwan and others in China, the China ones fail alot, and it's not always easy to tell which country of origin you are getting beforehand.

Back