• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with heatkiller gpu 5x0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaym14

So I came across this issue with the heatkiller gpu x3 5x0 block where on some evga cards that don't have the gray heat spreader the waterblock does not make contact with the gpu. There is literally a 2-3mm gap between the gpu and the heatskink. After a bit of searching around it seems that a few other people experienced this issue with the heatkiller and koolance blocks. Rather than rma'ing right away I'm wondering if I could try a little thermal Pad tue fill the gap? How much of a Performance drop could I expect to see? I'd be ok with a few degree increase. I suppose I could try a thin Piece of aluminum or copper too. What do you guys think?

Probably the block isn't made for that card or you did something really wrong. Please make SURE.

Email, open a ticket with them, review the instructions again.

A Thermal pad is a VERY bad idea.

Geez give me a little credit here... I didn't do anything wrong and the block is advertized as compatible with my card. 100% positive. This is a issue others have experienced as well. My question is simple; should I try a thermal pad or some
Other medium or just rma the water blocks?

Okay, just tossing suggestions. I remeber something last year, not sure what GPU etc. Standoffs?

Too thick of pads on the mosfets or ram? Using the stuff that came in the kit? It's wayy wrong, and I have no idea why. I dunno, never seen this issue with Koolance blocks, please post me a link if you can.

A Thermal pad on the GPU chip is a bad idea. Ask Eddie at EK or PM tiborr at Xtreme systems, he's on there ALL the time.

The exact issue is that evga or nvidia (not sure which) basically decided to ship some 580's with a heat spreader and some without. It appears that the newer 580's mostly don't have them. This change reduces the contact area of the gpu and prevents contact with waterblock.

So this issue is confirmed, here is the response I received from the manufacturer:

we have seen that EVGA have shipped some GTX580 cards without the IHS. At this moment it looks like that only EVGA have make this. The GPU-X³ GTX580 cooler is designed to work with the GPU and Heatspreader. It wont fit without the HIS.
We can make are special version of this cooler that work with cards that don’t have the heatspreader. We need for this one card, here in Germany we have not seen such cards.
mit freundlichen Grüßen
Rico Weber
Watercool e.K.
Zum Mevenbruch 6
D-17192 Waren* OT Warenshof
Tel.* 03991-187601
Fax. 03991-187602
***********************************************************************************

So now I'm waiting to hear back from my retailer and get an rma approved I suppose. This sucks lol :(

So the retailer does not want to approve my rma. They said I have to go through e.k. Who in turn says they are looking into a solution. So now I'm stuck with 200$ worth of waterblocks I cannot use and a half complete pc build that's on hold. I'm pretty annoyed right now with this issue. Hope someone finds this thread so they can avoid the same problem since no one wants to resolve it.

Tell them it's not the product you ordered and does not conform to the specifications listed and that you are contesting the charge with your CC company. See if that gets them moving.

sorry haven't been able to get online in a few days... here where things stand... The retailer agreed to RMA my waterblocks. Unfortunately, what I've discovered is that as of right now my GTX 580's are not compatible with ANY waterblocks... even EVGA Hydrocoppers. This is as per EVGA tech. They confirmed that some reference style cards have the IHS (integrated heat sink) and some do not. Fortunately they have offered RMA's to cards with the IHS and I'm waiting to hear back from them as I type this. Hopefully they will cross ship me two cards with the IHS and then I can reorder some waterblocks.

Back