• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking my 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

I just took the multiplier on my 965 from x17, 3400 mhz, to x18, 3600 mhz. set it to overclock all 4 cores. now when i right click my computer and properties it says 965 3.6. is this a correct and stable way to overclock? if not what else should i do

Im also looking for the most efficient, safe, easy overclock for this processor with the stock cooler. if you have experience with it, please toss me your input. Im gonna post my specs

Last edited:
well..you are going the right way...but if i were you i would brought a cheap aftermarket cooler at least...
apart from that everything looks good :)

about how high can i get from just the multiplier and stay stable, without having to up any voltages? the stocl cooler is only hitting 42c at full load, i have absurd cooling in this case.

about how high can i get from just the multiplier and stay stable, without having to up any voltages? the stocl cooler is only hitting 42c at full load, i have absurd cooling in this case.

am extra cautious so i would say 3.65GHZ will be the absolute limit for 24/7[prime testing required].....anything over that should not be attempted with a stock cooler[for long term off course]

The easiest way to overclock with a Black edition cpu is to use the multiplier as you are doing as it leaves all of you're other clocks on there stock values reducing the need to constantly adjust settings (easy in other words). As for using the stock cooler, the CPU is good up to a max of 55c once overclocked so as long as you're temps are under that stock cooler or not, you are golden.After each multi raise you should test for stability by running prime95 for an hour to see if it passes , if it does great, raise the multi again and repeat the process , if it fails try a small raise in the cpu vcore, but beware, adding vcore increases heat so make sure to watch temps with hwmonitor( I see you have it allready ).good luck

EDIT : I type way too slow

I had to go to 3700 as there was only 18.5, hopefully this is stable with no need to up the voltage. think thats likely?

its hitting 60c about 2 mins into the test, how much is this going to raise. is there a fan speed program or option? what would be an ideal cooler for this processor? these speeds are too much to not take advantage of, im going to have to fully overclock this thing.

well...i don't know about your budget but you could start off with an hyper 212 plus.....although i would love a NHD14 on the chip....

Before you buy a honker aftermarket cooler you'd better measure your case width to make sure it will clear the side panel. Generally, any case at least 8" wide will work with the tall 120mm fan-based tower coolers (which are all about the same height, by the way). That's 8" as measured from the outside of the right side panel to the outside of the left side panel on a tower style case.

I have a giant cooler master case, and after gaming for hours on my stock heat sink i barely even hit 42c. im sure it cant be that bad.

You asked us if you're doing it right. The people told you you're doing it wrong.
If you're just going to ignore the sound advice given, why make the thread?

It's only a 200mhz bump with no increase in voltage meaning you likely have poor case air flow or poor contact between the CPU and cooler cause at 3400, you'd still likely be above 55*.
The 200mhz increase is not worth the heat.

Do i just go to options and click torture test, then select the all around test?

Use the Prime95 blend test. Its the best "all around" test IMO.

Also, when we talk temps we mean "core temps" around here, not CPU temps. The CPU temps given in bios and by the software that comes with the motherboard are really measured from the CPU motherboard socket area, not the CPU itself. Core temps are measured from the CPU die itself and are the critical ones. With a stock cooler the core temps are usually a few degrees higher than the CPU temp. With good aftermarket cooling the reverse is true.

What software were you measuring your temps with? I suggest you use HWMonitor. It displays both CPU temps and core temps.

If you are hitting 60 C within 5 minutes of running Prime95 you do not have adequate cooling for overclocking.

Back