• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTS 320mb dying, help wanted on what to replace it with

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

I've had this for over three years and not had an issue but it looks like it's finally biting the dust. Can't select anything other than 640x480 and i've got psychadelic colours and patterns all over the screen as i type this. I can't use onboard as I don't have it.

I have a seriously tight budget. Unfortunately the other half does not understand this thing called budgeting so I've got some saving to do no matter what is suggested. I'm looking for something that is pretty much equal in performance or slightly better, basically capable of playing the games I play now in similar quality.

Thanks!

Just uploading a pic of the issue... And to add my budget is the bottom of the barrel. £30 is heart attack high according to my missus (should never mention this card cost something like £180 new).

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 64
Your best bet for the budget is a 470 GTX. I picked up a used one on the forums for $160 (US) shipped. Unsure of the conversion in UK price wise.

If you want something older & cheaper, you might get lucky and snap up an 8800GTS 640 which will be the same card as the one you have only with more ram/pipelines.

Ahh. Maybe a 4870 will be within his budget? Unless he wants to stick with Nvidia, then he could find a 640mb 8800GTS.

oven trick should fix that right up.

also maybe for an even better solution, some no clean flux (available on ebay for 3 bucks) and use a heat gun so you can concentrate the heat on the main gpu n ram, and heat those chips up more.

I agree that the oven trick is a good thing to try, many people seem to have success with it.

As for a good alternative, the ATI 4850 is a great card that is in a similar performance level (Actually a little better) and it can be had in the classifieds usually for anywhere from $35-$50.

I think I saw a 4870 in there for around $50 as well, which would certainly serve you well.

If you are on a budget and the oven trick doesn't happen to work for you, I think the classifieds are the best bet!

You also have to consider his location ;) There aren't as many non-US classifieds posts or those who are willing to ship across the pond.

Back