• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BudTheChud

Any recommendations? I have currently the Turtle Beach HPX:
turtle_beach_ear_force_hpx.jpg

I really cant complain about the sound quality but the build quality is terrible, they're disintegrating and so I am forced to look for another set. Need a mic which rules out a lot of the nice headsets I have found. This set, too, has all the audio jacks populated so usb would be really nice.

I use these here:
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I LOVE them, as far as stereo headphones. They don't pump much bass, I'll admit, but I'm sure that's better for my ears. Either way, the sound quality is great and they are WITHOUT A DOUBT the most comfortable headphones I've ever wore.

Now... one thing I hate is that the part that touches my hair will make my head look funny. Every over-the-head headphones do that, but this one is truly funny. :D

Anyway, they have other models, more expensive as well, that you could check out. I use my cans with an X-Fi elite setup so that I get amplified stereo output.

See that's the thing about some of those headsets. They're nice, but for many it HURTS... I always had a problem with my ears hurting. My favorite pair for gaming was the Razer Barracuda 5.1 headset. That surround sound was AWESOME with my X-Fi and analog 5.1 outputs. The problem was after at least an hour of gaming, my ears would KILL. I had to let it go =/

yeah sometimes comfort superceeds everything. i bought a headset at big lots for $5 bucks for casual youtubing and garrys mod and i could actually wear them for 2-3hrs before i got bored of playing not ear pains. I think in the headset category features like USB/analog and the earcups/plastic used are the most important things.

here is the el-cheapo that worked out just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YZH377X2HBFC21QHC84

I recently picked up a set of the gamecom headphones ... no complaints from me ... they're actually quite comfy, even after multiple hours on, and the input/output quality is excellent so far. I wouldn't say my head is HUGE, but it's definitely big enough, and no significant pain to speak of :p

For a long time now I have been a proponent of the ATH-AD700, and the Sennheiser HD555 with the 595 mod.

I also endorse the Sony MDR-V6 with Beyer DT250 pads; and it's what I use now owning neither of the other two gaming greats. The headphone is easily the most versatile of the three. I LAN (small LANs) almost bi weekly, and major LANs 2-3 times a year, so the closed headphones are a must. The MDR-V6 is also lighter and less intrusive than the other two, while being just as comfortable if not more so in my opinion.

The velour upgrade pads are also sufficient in reducing the ear heat and preventing sweat. They're also the best of the three in my opinion for music, so they're definitely staying in my collection while I have long ago sold my ATH-AD700 and wasn't entirely motivated to get HD555 even when they were dirt cheap.

PROS:

• They're easy to drive. My LAN equipment is a Gateway P7805U laptop, so I need them to just plug in and work.
  • They're closed and have been described by many as beautifully quieting. they reduce noise coming in, and allow you to focus on the game.
  • They're extremely tough and hard to break, while being extremely light weight. This reduces fatigue and lets you focus on the game.
  • The headband is bendable, so you can make it conform better to your head.
  • They fit into pretty much any reasonably sized laptop bag because they fold up, making it extremely easy to pack it up and go.
CONS:

• It has a coiled cable. if I could get them modded to straight cable, I would.
  • They don't have as good of a sound stage as the competitors, but again, I traded this for versatility. I need to be able to use them where I need headphones, so this is a trade off but one that needs to be mentioned.

Back