• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alienwolf

Looking for some advice, thinking of upgrading my i7 930. I can get a i7 960 for around 259.00 new. Or a i7 980 non extreme for 599.00 being a 6 core new. and an i7 970 is around 400.00 so would any of these be worth the extra cost since it would take a mother board change to go to the Sandy Bridge and would cost much more with the CPU. So confused..lol:shrug:

You don't have a good CPU upgrade option really, unless you absolutely need six cores. However, you can get a SB CPU + motherboard for around $400 new, which is the cost of a six core LGA1366 CPU. So, I would go SB if you really need the upgrade.

Matt said it. No need upgrading a socket (LGA1366) that is 'going out of style'. Sandybridge is the new game. I would grab a 2500k/2600k + a nice P67/Z68 motherboard for it, and you would be set.
I'd recommend going with the 2500k unless you're actually going to use the Hyperthreading on the 2600k
Your DDR3 can transfer over to Sandybridge no problem whatsoever.

Good luck :D

I just may do that, up grade the mobo and cpu to Sandy Bridge. Like you said I can swap some stuff over like my 5970 and Ram.. thanks for the feed back.

I just may do that, up grade the mobo and cpu to Sandy Bridge. Like you said I can swap some stuff over like my 5970 and Ram.. thanks for the feed back.

Yep. That ram should transfer over just fine. Everyone says get ram rated for 1.5v, but any DDR3 should work just fine. :thup:

Back