• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

A system i built for my brother has been performing rather well but its been a few years and his itch has come back. No rush on him to upgrade but knowing my options would be great you know? PCI-E 2.0 gives me alot of range on upgrade options for the graphics card, but thats the easy part. The motherboard in it says "Socket AM3 ready" but is billed as an AM2/AM2+ motherboard and im curious of the CPU options. Currently running 4gigs DDR2 800, AMD Phenom 9600 x4, and ATI Radeon 4850. Heres the product page for the mobo...

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/motherboard_view.asp?productid=524&proname=XBLUE-N78V

Heres the newegg page, the model is a little off but it appears to be the same one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...k=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

If its AM3 ready does that mean theres a possibility of using the Phenom II series of CPUs? Just saw this on the BIOS page: Update Agesacode v3.3.2.0(support Phenom II 920,940 CPU). Now im curious what other Phenom IIs it can run...

edit: So i found Phenom II 945 on newegg. Its the same TDP as the 9600 thats in there right now but not specifically stated in the above BIOS update comment. What are the odds of it working? What about the odds of a 125w TDP CPU working like the Pheon II 980 Black Edition?

Last edited:
Now im curious what other Phenom IIs it can run and what are the odds of just any Phenom ll working if it is TDP of 125 watt? << Two ways to do it. 1. Check with ECS support since they only mention 2 Phenom processors and the 955BE was available before the two they mention by model name. 2. For test purpose buy the cheapest BE unlocked phenom 2 processor and see if it works. You can always overclock the BE pretty easily and equal a faster phenom 2 cpu.

. . . edit: So i found Phenom II 945 on newegg. Its the same TDP as the 9600 thats in there right now but not specifically stated in the above BIOS update comment. What are the odds of it working? What about the odds of a 125w TDP CPU working like the Pheon II 980 Black Edition?

You can expect it likely will work but in some impaired way if its not in the CPU support list. By that I mean it may work at some low level speed as if it were in "Safe Mode".

Oh i see. Would probably be able to verify that "safe mode" with CPU-Z or something eh?

Rgone: did you mean contacting Jetway support? You said ECS support for some reason lol. I sent them a question hopefully they get back to me soon.

Oh i see. Would probably be able to verify that "safe mode" with CPU-Z or something eh?

Rgone: did you mean contacting Jetway support? You said ECS support for some reason lol. I sent them a question hopefully they get back to me soon.

Yes, Jetway. Fingers not fully in my control and they typed wrongly.

Jetway got back to me and gave me the support list for AM3 and AM2.

Was kinda weird to decipher at first but i think at the high end of AM3 the 965BE, 955BE, 945, and 925 are supported. Among others of course.

Looked up the 965be on newegg and its deactivated. Also, its a 140w TDP. That kinda throws me off as the spreadsheet says its supported at 2000mhz HTT/125w. Does that mean the mobo will downclock it a little (or may have to manually change that) to make it work? I noticed the HTT on the 965 and 955 and 945 is 4000mhz. Is this to say putting these CPUs on this mobo will halve the HTT speed?

Of whats on the list, what do you guys recommend?

edit: found the 965be 125w version my bad.

Attachments

• xbluen78.xls
    74.5 KB · Views: 62
There probably were two steppings of the 965 BE produced, a C2 140W version and a C3 125W version. When you look at the CPU compatibility lists for a motherboard, make sure to check the product model code numbers, not just the basic description. Did the Jetway tech provide you with that info?

So im still curious about the HTT stuff. The 965, 955, and 945 say 4000mhz HTT but the approved spec list says it only supports 2000mhz HTT (the mobo newegg page says 2600mhz HTT). Does that mean If i put one of these CPUs in, it'll cut the HTT down to work?

Back