• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k959

Registered
im looking to build a comp for a friend of mine he has about 950 to spend and i think i got a farly good comp picked out for him but i just wanted to ask people that know more about this gen of cpus and mobos so this is what i was thinking for him

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Intel Core i5-2300
EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb
Antec Nine Hundred case
XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283

i need to trim it down about $50 but im not sure how he already has the dvd drive so i dont need one of those but his hard drive is an old 5400 rpm drive and he wants a faster one

Z68-X-UD4
Core i5 2500K
AMD 6950
8 GB DDR3
Corsair CX500 power supply
WD Caviar BLACK 500GB or Samsung Spinpoint F3.
Antec 300 case
Coolermaster Hyper 212 or XT Gaia cpu cooler.

Should come in approx 900 and much more powerful.
Btw the most expensive isn't the best. There are GTX 460s and (slightly faster) 6870s in the 110-140 range.

while i know ati cards are cheaper for the performance he asked for a nvidia card and i know he doesn't take the best care of his comps so i wanted to get one with the lifetime limited warranty on it

Nvidia cards don't have better warranties than ATi.
It's the OEM you're buying it from. Sure, EVGA has a better warranty, but it's definitely too much to ask for a 460. A 460 is like a 130 dollar card. A 6870 which beats it is only ten or twenty dollars more than that. At just over 200 the 6950 beats the 6870 significantly, as well as beating the 560Ti. Lots of cards have long warranties out there. Not just EVGA. Not just Nvidia.

No reason a card shouldn't last you a good decade or so even with regular use. Blow it out with compressed air every few months and don't overvolt it.

Back