• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build compatabillity review?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You have a triple channel kit you want dual channel for your RAM. Also go for CAS 8 or 7 not 9.

The WD Green hard drives are really slow. If you only have a 128GB SSD you should go for Black hard drives.

You don't need an NHD14 although it's fine if you want it. It's overkill.

Knock the CPU cooler down to something cheaper and that'll cancel out the cost of going to the black hard drives more or less.

The 6970 has more potential than the GTX 570 overall, and many 6950s can be flashed to 6970. I'd be inclined to look at a 2GB 69XX card over a 570. The 570's fine though if that's what you want.

Do you need a high end sound card? Got a $2000+ stereo? Or a awesome headphone set and a $500 headphone amp?

The on board audio digital out to any stereo is fine for general music and gaming. No need for more.

The 2500k will save you a bit. You are minor overclocking, save your pennies. In fact, tell us your reasons for overclocking. Is it because you want to, or you working with apps that 1 minute every hour saved is money earned. Thats what minor overclocks do.

And yea, you can cut back on the heatsink somewhat.

I suggest you dig in the cooling forum and the top of the web page and look at reviews by our wayyy qualified members for heatsinks.

Same for Hard drives etc. Dig a bit more.

Do you need a high end sound card? Got a $2000+ stereo? Or a awesome headphone set and a $500 headphone amp?

The on board audio digital out to any stereo is fine for general music and gaming. No need for more.

A $100 headphone set is enough to experience a massive difference. If you have no quality stereo, get the STX and good headphones. If you do have a quality stereo, use SPDIF out to it from the motherboard and don't get a sound card.

The ASUS Xense bundle with the Sennheiser headset is good. It's a slightly paired down STX with headset for <$300.

The 2500k will save you a bit. You are minor overclocking, save your pennies. In fact, tell us your reasons for overclocking. Is it because you want to, or you working with apps that 1 minute every hour saved is money earned. Thats what minor overclocks do.

2500K= 6MB L3 4 thread 2600K = 8MB L3 8 thread. Totally depends what you're doing. If on any kind of budget and looking at gaming, the 2500 is fine. For serious graphics rendering, video editing, heavy cad/virtualization you need the 2600k. For the 2500K a $25 Coolermaster H212 is fine for any speed one could attain on air. On a 2600K the H212 will take you a little past 4.5Ghz depending on your CPU. You may want a better cooler if you want 5Ghz>

And yea, you can cut back on the heatsink somewhat.

I suggest you dig in the cooling forum and the top of the web page and look at reviews by our wayyy qualified members for heatsinks.

Same for Hard drives etc. Dig a bit more.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated.

@Theocnoob

I'm a little confused regarding the dual channel RAM against triple channel. I was under the impression that more channel the better. Could you please explain this further?

Good catch on the WD Green drives. I didn't realize that they were slow. As for the WD Black series I see there aren't any 2TB SATA3 models. What's the performance difference between large (2TB) SATA drives and SATA3?

I'll also look into the 6970 and look at the reviews from this site for other hardware.

@Conumdrum

I don't have a 2000+ sound system but I do have a pair of Denon D2000's. While I don't have an amp the sound card I linked has an integrated amp. Am I missing something? As for your overclocking question I don't have a particular reason other than I've never done it and would like to begin experimenting. I have to start somewhere if I want to experiment with overclocking, right? It certainly isn't to save money.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated.

@Theocnoob

I'm a little confused regarding the dual channel RAM against triple channel. I was under the impression that more channel the better. Could you please explain this further?

You can only address 2 channels of RAM with Sandybridge.

Good catch on the WD Green drives. I didn't realize that they were slow. As for the WD Black series I see there aren't any 2TB SATA3 models. What's the performance difference between large (2TB) SATA drives and SATA3?

There are burst speed improvements going from SATA 2 to SATA 3 on the same model HD (ie, WD black 1TB Sata v2 vs v3(6gbps) but the sustained transfer rates will be the same. SATAv3 only really shines with SSD.

I don't have a 2000+ sound system but I do have a pair of Denon D2000's. While I don't have an amp the sound card I linked has an integrated amp. Am I missing something?

No

I read some more regarding SB and dual channel memory. Say I want 12GB of ram can I still purchase triple channel without any performance consequences? Looking at the dual channel there's no way to get 2x6GB sticks. So it seems you either get 8GB (2x4GB) or 16GB (4x4GB).

Are there any performance issues by going the dual channel 16GB (4x4GB) route?

I read some more regarding SB and dual channel memory. Say I want 12GB of ram can I still purchase triple channel without any performance consequences? Looking at the dual channel there's no way to get 2x6GB sticks. So it seems you either get 8GB (2x4GB) or 16GB (4x4GB).

Are there any performance issues by going the dual channel 16GB (4x4GB) route?

if you go with triple RAM the board can't support dual channel for the 3rd stick, so EVERYTHING goes to single channel, resulting in a 5-10% drop in speed over a dual channel setup. That said, pairs only have to match in their specific channels, as long as speed and timings match otherwise. so you could do 12 GB as 2x4GB (8GB) in bank 0.0 and 0.1, and 2x2GB (4GB) in bank 1.0 and 1.1

This is what I would go with. If you really want to, go with the 2600K. If you want more then 8GB, you have to get another 8GB kit for a total of 16GB.
Capture.JPG

Back