• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock i7 2600 k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoundFX

here is my specs, need help over clocking as this is my first time
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
i7 2600k
corsair h80
16gb if vengeance 1866 memory red

also my memory is at 1333 idk y help is much appreciated thank you.

Go in the bios, find the "Tool" tab, enter asus profiles and save your current settings on 1 of the 8 possibilities, name it and go back to AI Tweaker tab.
Set your multiplier at 43x, set cpu voltage at 1.300, check if all 4 cores are activated,check under dram timing control if all values are correct, check if dram voltage is set as ram specs dictate.
Test in windows with realtemp, cpu-z and prime95 for stability, throw intel burn test in also.
Watch for temps and cpu voltage, check if it stays below or around 70°C max.

When stable up the multiplier by 1, so it reads 44x, and test again in windows. Keep doing that until unstable.
You will find the stable multiplier eventually with 1.300v.
The rest is up to you, if you want 45x or even going after 5Ghz or as high as possible.
You will need extra voltage with each higher multiplier.

Also you would now run on a "fixed" voltage for your cpu. If you want it to throttle down when idle you need to experiment with offset values. There are plenty of threads in this forum explaining how to do this and if it's viable or not etc.
Plenty of opinions to choose from.

But the basic is you find the vcore needed for a certain multiplier, from there you can go further.

Goodluck.

Thank for the help. this is default setting to take a look at

Last edited:
ok i final got around to over clocking and i did it with ai suite from asus and am wondering if these temps are safe also my fans don't ramp up running prime 95

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 107
I have the 2550K running on the H80 and I try to keep everything below 70C.
It's Oc to 4.5GHz 24/7 and I've had stable benching at 5.4GHz which is 2GHz over the stock 3.4

ok i final got around to over clocking and i did it with ai suite from asus and am wondering if these temps are safe also my fans don't ramp up running prime 95

the temps are OK. Im running in the high 50's @4.8 ghz @ 1.36v ( under a WC loop) but that is with Hyper Transport off. I would suggest turning HT off unless you do a lot of encoding/ use programs that stress you CPU anywhere near 100%? If you primarily game / browse etc you wont need it. And then if you do need the extra threads just switch it on.

It will drop your temps by 5-10c. Also i would say you could try and drop your voltage by a little. Im running at 1.36 atm, try incrementally dropping your voltage till its unstable. and move it up by 0.01 V each time then stress till you find your lowest stable voltage.

first of all :welcome: to the forums :)

i would advise to read this post here as it will guide you gentaly through the process of overclocking that CPU, giving you the basics to do what you need.

Read through the post and see how far you get with the overclock, if you run into any issues, post back and let us know.

good luck
:thup:

first of all :welcome: to the forums :)

i would advise to read this post here as it will guide you gentaly through the process of overclocking that CPU, giving you the basics to do what you need.

Read through the post and see how far you get with the overclock, if you run into any issues, post back and let us know.

good luck
:thup:

+ 1 to this too, stickies are your friend, and a lot more informed than the drivel i spout :p

Last edited:
with my p68gen 3mobo and 2600k i can only go as far as 4.4ghz 13xx ram. anything higher system wont boot. wonder if im doing anything wrong? under a loop btw, didnt run prime95 yet but with the sensor test and xs bench from realtemp, its around 50-60c at full load, 1787bench score.

What I noticed is the 124w that thing is chewing. Mine runs at about 95 watts under full load. Perhaps he has HT on as well too. . . nvm he does. . . saw it 8 threads.

Z

What do you use your computer for? asking because, you can turn off HT if you dont need it, and get much better temps= cpu has longer lifespan :)

Back