• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General questions about gaming laptops...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlaBlaBla

Registered
Hey guys,

I've got lots of questions so get ready!

First of all, what is the best GPU between the GTX580M and the HD6990M?
Some say the GTX is faster and some say the HD is faster... I'm confused...
I know the HD is much cheaper so probably the way to go if you have that option right?

:shrug:

OK, will both max out any game?

What are your opinions on the alienware laptops?

You might want to check out Malibal or XoticPC for gaming laptops. They are popular and I know for a fact that Malibal ships to Canada. if you want more information on these Sager/Clevo offerings go to Notebookreview.com and read their Sager/Clevo forum. There is tons of information given from actual owners experiences.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gtx-580m-sli-hd-6990m-crossfire,3022.html That's pretty much everything you'll need to know. Alienware laptops are nice but they are expensive as hell. You might want to look at the Eurocom Panther 2.0 if you need the fastest Laptop ever. If the SLI GTX 580M costs a lot more than the AMD 6990M then go with AMD. On Alienware they are charging $700 extra for the GTX 580M SLI.

To get the alienware with 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, HD6990 Crossfire, and a pretty good processor it costs me 2,599 and free shipping.

It will cost me 3,700 to get a eurocom with the same graphic cards, 8GB less memory, half the storage capacity of the same kind, but a better processor it seems?
I just don't want to spend any more than a little over 2500. It's the only reason Im considering the M18x for 2599 (700 savings), and the m17x r3 with the 3d monitor and GTX580m and 16GB 1600mhz memory for 2300

Is the 300 worth it for an upgrade from single GTX580m to dual HD6990m?

You might want to check out Malibal or XoticPC for gaming laptops. They are popular and I know for a fact that Malibal ships to Canada. if you want more information on these Sager/Clevo offerings go to Notebookreview.com and read their Sager/Clevo forum. There is tons of information given from actual owners experiences.

Thanks, will do right now.

It depends on the CPU.

If you have a CPU that's triple channel (i7-9xx) then you want the 12GB. Any other CPU, including i7-2xxx, you want the dual channel (8GB).

can the memory be overclocked to 1600 or 1866 if I buy a 1066 or 1333?
Also Win 7 Ultimate performs better than Home premium or is it just extra stuff I won't need?

Last edited:
Extra stuff you don't need.

OCing the memory depends on the BIOS and the strength of the CPU memory controller. IMO your best option is the top Sager with the dual 6990 option. They shove a high end desktop CPU in there, it will murder any mobile CPU.

No it won't "murder" any mobile cpu. I also get 6 hours of battery life with my mobile cpu.

If you want faster memory I recommend purchasing the laptop with the 1066 stuff and then purchase some HyperX 1866 and slap it in.

It's undeniably clear this board is full of anti-Alienware. Alienware is obviously his cheapest option out of them all yet you still direct him towards either Eurocom or Sager.

The mobile Sandy Bridge cpu's are fantastic, BlaBlaBla. There will hardly be any difference between the 2630 and the 2960xm in gaming frame rates. There is no game out I can't crank all the way up at 1080P. There is thermal throttling issues going on with the 580m's, a couple guys have been able to control it and in certain games it has a 10-15% lead on the 6990m. However look at the price difference and CrossfireX performance is still being increased through driver updates.

Last edited:
He is looking at dual GPU laptops...

Not to mention you can haggle with representatives if you want bottom dollar. You can read hundreds of stories on notebookreview.. but here's one posted a few days back..

"Ok BIIIIIGGGG Thanks for her Info!!! Here is the deal that I got. Ordered a M17x with the following specs: Intel Core i7 2760QM 2.4GHz, 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz, 17.3-inch WideFHD1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED, 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6990M, 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB Hybrid Solid State Drives), Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader, Killer Wireless-N, and the 2 year advanced warranty. So while not FULLY loaded, pretty jam packed. Original price: $2,992.00
I paid: $2199.12 for a discount of about 27% THANK YOU JASONS FRIEND!!!! "

There are items that Dell seriously overcharges on the system builder, for instance the memory.. ADD $200 from 4gb to 8gb 1600 mhz. You can pick up 8gb of HyperX 1866 off the internet for like $80.

Being that his budget is $2500.. go ahead and buy a Eurocom/Sager. ;)

Last edited:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gtx-580m-sli-hd-6990m-crossfire,3022.html That's pretty much everything you'll need to know. Alienware laptops are nice but they are expensive as hell. You might want to look at the Eurocom Panther 2.0 if you need the fastest Laptop ever. If the SLI GTX 580M costs a lot more than the AMD 6990M then go with AMD. On Alienware they are charging $700 extra for the GTX 580M SLI.

$7038 :shock:

I could build you even more power using a Shuttle for half the price, finally you always pay big in order to go small. Funnily enough, huge towers cost even lesser than the Shuttle for even more power, so i truly wonder where they get all the material for free. ;) Apparently the manufacturing is eating it all, which is surely not the full truth.

Alienware M18X
2920XM 4.2ghz
Crossfire Radeon 6990M 4gb
Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz
Crucial M4 256gb SSD + 750gb HDD

Surely very impressive to put such crazy stuff inside a laptop, although in practical means, as usual, it cost a lot to go small and i dont need a travel-portable device. Considering my SFF is already portable enough (easy to move from one location to another but not usable while traveling) and i just had to pay like 1/2 for equal power. Well yeah, everyone got theyr needs or joy.

Extra stuff you don't need.

OCing the memory depends on the BIOS and the strength of the CPU memory controller. IMO your best option is the top Sager with the dual 6990 option. They shove a high end desktop CPU in there, it will murder any mobile CPU.

1. OCing depends on the general quality of the board at first, the memory controllers usualy handle 1600 MHZ easy. Its useless to go above 1600 MHZ, seriously. It doesnt match with the CPUs interface and only generate extremely minor speed up, if any at all.

2. The 990X is in my opinion misplaced in a laptop, its 130 (!!!) Watt TDP. Only Shuttle or mid/big towers can stay in the green range having it. On a Shuttle (probably the smallest system able to use the full 990X power) you might be able to put in a 5-10% OC without having the CPU burned (although the machine may get loud because it need to speed up fan). So its not possible to beat any machine bigger than that. So the best option is to get a low power CPU like 2920XM (+1 point for V10Ace) and on laptop that CPU is barely weaker, unless at a few special tasks. On bigger systems with some OC the 990X might be stronger but on laptop thats not possible, to much heat. And believe me there is lot of tears when a 990X will break or throttle because of heat! Usualy the 990X will protect itself by throttling down, and that most likely will happen on a laptop under full load. Then you will experience slower performance and that is just not advisable.

3. 6990M crossfire? Well i dont know how much they perform but usualy in laptops all processors share the same heat sink (unlike Shuttle who got dedicated sinks), those will have to be cooled down aswell and even CF, i surely feel impressed if any laptop truly can deal with at full clock and load. Combined with 990X it surely is over the edge, that pretty CPUs potential might be plagued by to much heat. So my vote would go to Alienware here. Indeed there might be other systems with same power for lower price. Question is of they are aswell build with the same quality considering theyr boards and case, thats something which have to be considered. Finally a CPU, especially on a laptop, is exactly as strong such as its cooling power, according to that the parts can deliver more or lesser...

Last edited:
CPUs should be 4 cores, then all should be fine so far. The Sager simply is getting out more power through using desktop parts but this will also generate more power consume and heat. Now i dont know what the target is, but the only thing that laptop can handle is desktop replacement.

I told already, laptops are usualy limited by theyr TDP, so it may become meaningless to run them using desktop parts. Meaningful if they truly got a absolutly awesome cooling solution, which is technically a challenge very hard to overcome.

I leave that decision to others, just wanted to try to reveal stuff which might be hidden.

The real funny part is he keeps thinking the desktop cpus are faster than the mobile Sandy Bridge's. That's the difference between reading on the internet and actually owning what you're talking about.

Edit: On top of that there is no IGPU in the desktop cpus.. 6 hour battery life> 45 mins

Back