• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5KPL-am IN/GB, timings, O/C all that lot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Groov3st3r

Hello,

Okay so today I recieved some new memory from Komputerbay - a cheap german company that uses Samsung chips to make their memo (Samsung = good).

Its a 4GB (2x2) PC2-8900 1066 memory. DDR2, obviously.

Now I wasnt particularly sure where to post this thread as it touches on both motherboards and memories.

So:
Memory timings go up to 6-6-6-25
Motheboard timings go up to 6-6-6-15 (I believe 6-6-6 and I know its 15)

My E6300 was running quite happily at 1333 rated fsb (2.33ghz) on my old kingston PC2-5300 memory. Only 2 gigs.

So after the upgrade It wouldnt boot. I got it to boot by reducing O/C to 266 and setting memory to 677. Ratio is 4:5 as it was, and for some reason it wouldnt want to run at 333 fsb with memory still at 677. I have not tried whether it works or not with any higher overclocks.

SO question now:
Is a CL6 PC2-8900 memory able to run 1066 (533) mhz at 6-6-6-15?
Do I need to overvolt it? And if so, how since my current mobo isnt the best O/C hardware (but its better than my old one aand Im sticking to it for a little longer)

How can I get a 1:1 ratio and make it all work?
Bear in mind, I dont think I am able to set the ratio manually.

A little *bump* / update:

I managed to get it to work as fast as 2.2ghz but it was freezing so ultimately FSB is set to 310 mhz, memory speed is 464 mhz, Ratio is 2:3 and cpu runs at 2156 mhz @ 1.808 volts (dont ask how, it just does apparently - thats what cpuz says anyway).

Do you reckon if I increased the voltage on the memory would it run faster?
And whether I actually need to increase any voltage at all?

Memory timing numbers are a measurement of the latency (the delay) between when a memory action is requested and when it will finish. There are four memory actions whose latencies are indicated by memory timings we normally see shown from left to right. The integers are denoting the latency in the number of memory cycles and are:

•Column address strobe latency - length of time in clock cycles between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular column in a selected row, and the moment the data from the given array location is available on the module's output pins.

•Row to column address delay - length of time to move from one row to the next.

•Row Precharge time - length of time to change the voltage between a one and a zero; computers are binary.

•Row Active Time - the number of clock cycles taken between a bank active command and issuing the precharge command.

So a memory timing of 7-7-7-20 means that it takes 7 clock cycles to perform each of the first three actions. The row active time (the 4th and last number) is approximately the sum of the first three numbers.

With that row active time of your new memory 'saying' it should be 25 and using 15 we assume, I can see problems with memory are in your future. It seems so to me.

If the board were able to read an SPD and set what the SPD says, then you might be fairly safe. However the SPD is generally a setup that is for the least speed the ram might run. NOT the setttings necessary for the fastest speed the ram may have been sold as supposedly capable of running.

Link >>

You might download and use Memset 4.0 to determine what your ram is actually running when the board is booted into windows.

Link >>

You could download CPU-z and use the Memory and the SPD tab to learn what the SPD is saying the ram is actually designed to be run at speed and timing wise.

I already have CPUz and read a nice long article on what is what in the world of memory timings.
Point is, nobody really explains to me how they work together as in how changing one value affects the other.

Hmm, I am still left wondering whether I should increase voltage of the memory to enable it to run quicker.
Your article does shed some light of wisdom on the complicated matter of latencies though :)

My aim is to reach the highest possible Front Side Bus speed. I believe that the CPU I have is capable of speeds in excess of 3gh/z and so far memory I thought was holding me back. This is why I got faster memory able to support 1066mhz (if its able to support it stock, it should be able to overclock past that).

Now, my current latency is 5-5-5-18. Speed of ram is 464mhz (native or 928mhz rated I believe). Divider stands as 2:3.
My speed options are 677, 800 and 1066. Board doesnt support 1066 unless I overclock memory to that speed - it then will support it. So I am running it at 800mhz setting.

Armed with this information, should I attempt putting a higher voltage through the memory and try to bring the FSB up? Or will it make no difference?

Sure overvolt the ram. I mean none of us here know what ram voltage is recommended by the manufacturer. We don't know what ram voltage is applied now. but sure add ram voltage.

Well ram voltage is 1.8 as with all DIMMs I assume - since my old ones were 1.8 as well. But I also read that doing so will enable the ram to get up to higher speeds whilst retaining stability.

Recommended ram.... well I dont knwo that either. 1.8? Does ANY manufacturer actually recommend changing voltage at all?

Do what?

The reason I mentioned CPUz is because there are tabs across the top that make the application do other duties. Memory and SPD tabs captured and posted in this thread would tell us all out here a lot. Should tell same at your end.

This is the MEMORY tab of CPUz and shows what timings at speed the ram is currently running at. It will nOt tell us what voltage the ram is using however as that would have to come from bios or another application like HWMonitor.
attachment.php

This is the SPD tab which shows what the RAM manufacturer specs for the ram. It would show recommended voltage if we could see it posted to forum.

attachment.php

So my recommended voltages are all at 1.8v

In the memory tab it says DDR2, PC2-8900 (555mhz) on both of them (as it should be).

Spd timings are either 6-6-6-18 or 6-6-6-24 (Ill check again once I come back home, ill post pictures as well).

Well, my O/C mate said that if my memory can go up to 464mhz (as it does now), I should be able to use FSB of 464 as well. Problem is, I can't go past 310 with any kind of stability, and past 320 it doesnt even boot.

Im kind of stuck... I will post you CPUz screens later on today but I already told you everything that it says - I hope anyway.
So what do you reckon I should do to be able to increase my FSB?

Back