• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ vertex 2 80gig firmware question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metlcub

My OCZ vertex 2 80gig has firmware v1.30 and I noticed that OCZ released v1.35. My question is, is there a performance upgrade going to the new 1.35 firmware? I have not had any issues with v1.30 so was just wondering, i'd hate to upgrade the firmware and lose everything,

Thread: OCZ Vertex 2 Firmware 1.35 - 50% write speed

The OCZ forum is usually the best place to find out good or bad about a firmware update. Those guys are always updating firmware and then going right back to the forum and complaining. Above is link to some posters about firmware 1.35.

Release notes for FW 1.35.

Doing a g00gle for FW 1.35, there were a few claiming they lost all data or would not boot at all. OCZ certainly says ALL DATA should be backed up before firmware update.

Last edited:
Well I just ran AS SSD benchmark and I am getting slow speeds

OCZ vertex 2 firmware 1.33
seq= 147.96mb/s read and 36.53mb/s write
4k= 16.02,b/s read and 38.17mb/s write
4k-64thrd= 70.37mb/s read and 34.46mb/s write
acc.time- 0.251 ms read and 0.335ms write

Scores are Read 101 write 76 total score 231

It's like 1/2 of what others scrores out there are for the ocz vertex 2 drives.

I have two Vertex 2 120GB drives (one newly aquired). My first drive was still on v 1.2 and the newer drive was on v1.3. They no longer offer or have access to v1.33 or before so I went ahead and upgraded both my drives to v 1.35 and also did a secure erase for each as well. I had no problems with my firmware upgrade and I'm now testing a raid 0.

Even if you don't want to upgrade your firmware resetting your drive back to default via secure erase can apparently improve performance.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...50-write-speed&p=681063&viewfull=1#post681063

From the thread...

"FYI.. you can secure erase the volume and restore that backed up image back over to it if you want fresh speeds again. Idling the system while the W7 power options are set to never sleep/never power off the drive can help to recover dirty space and restore some performance as well. Unfortunately.. once the drive has throttled?.. it can only be fully restored to fresh speed after a secure erase."

My Vertex 2 Raid 0:

Attachments

• ATTO OCZ Vertex 2 Raid 0.png
    ATTO OCZ Vertex 2 Raid 0.png
    18 KB · Views: 160
Back