• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new card - tips plox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lobes

Registered
Running a HD 5750 now

8GB ram
650w cooler master gx psu
i7 - 870
mb stock (its a lenovo k320 that I put some new parts in basically)
radeon hd 5750
monitor: 23" Vizio HD 1080p tv
resolution: 1920x1080

As of now I can play any game at this resolution on low to medium settings. Some games I can run high or ultra, just depends.

But Battlefield 3 beta oh my...it ran like crap (could only run it on low) even then it ran crappy, everything looked LAME, gameplay was sluggish . So I'm looking to get a new card to power BF3 on at LEAST Medium to High settings at my resolution (1920x1080), smoothly and crisply.

Price range is $100 - $225 | AMD or NVidia I don't care! Just looking for something that will work well with my setup and be able to play BF3 well at my native resolution. It would also help if you point me towards a good manufacturer as well :] Newegg links rule!

Had my eye on the 6870 - seemed to be a great price and good performance. Still looking for the best opinion though!

Thanks guys

Last edited:
To run that game on medium to high settings @ 1920 x 1080, you will need at least a 560ti or a 6950.. Both are mid 200 dollar cards.

Yea, I was pretty much in the same boat as you... be aware of how long the ATI 6950 (11 inches) card is, make sure your case has room... I had to go the nvidia route (not that I mind, Im not a fanboi of either side) just because the ATI wouldn't fit in my case.

You would do just fine going 560 ti or 6950 though.

Ah damn. So I'm looking at 560ti or a 6950.

I almost want to just go with Nvidia just to be sure that it will fit in my case like you mentioned Standingcow.

So that being said, which model (or brand) would be the best to go with for the 560ti and if I were to get the 6950 which model (brand)? And preferably the cheapest.

thanks

Ah damn. So I'm looking at 560ti or a 6950.

I almost want to just go with Nvidia just to be sure that it will fit in my case like you mentioned Standingcow.

So that being said, which model (or brand) would be the best to go with for the 560ti and if I were to get the 6950 which model (brand)? And preferably the cheapest.

thanks

With nvidia I went with the EVGA, because they have a lifetime warranty, and they will warranty your card even if you jack it up from OCing. With ATI I always went with sapphire cards, never had an issue.

But, yea, I would measure the space you have available in your case before you order the ATI card.

Back