• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions For new pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InSearch4I

Registered
I have decided to steer away from console gaming after being spoiled with awesome graphics.

Currently i own a gateway fx4710 desktop. At the time it was perfect for bf2 especially since i won it from my work.

Current specs:

47" 1920x1080 Native hdtv

Core 2 q9300 quad core (stock clocked @ 2.5ghz)
8 gb ddr2 Ram @ 332mhz
Gateway g33m05g1 (socket 775)
400w pos psu
1gb EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti
WD SATA 7200 caviar black.

Basically i was thinking about upgrading to this and was wondering if the upgrade in performance would be worth it.

I-5 Sandybridge 2500k
8gb ram
Motherboard (need suggestions?)
PSU (Suggestions on power for this rig?)
2: 1gb EVGA GeForce GTX 55ti (running SLI)

Since I just upgraded this card I believe it would be cheaper getting another one and running sli instead of buying a new higher end card?

Just kinda needed some advice (help or suggestions) I know this is like beating a dead horse (which is in fact sometimes fun.) but wasn't finding the answers i wanted in the forums and in sites.

Did you mean the 550ti?
What would be your budet for said next system.
You might need a new case as those cases they give don't have the best cooling.

Yeah 550ti, sorry snow. Was planning on getting a new case. Haven't decided which one yet. Im going to put my 9800gt back in this computer and sell it to family. Would like to keep it under 1000$

so rough estimate,
150 case
120 psu
220 Processor
150 mb
80 ram
140 additional vid card
can wait on hd, always update later.

Oh less then 1k perfect.
I put this build for others but you can change things around etc.

Attachments

• build..png
    build..png
    75.7 KB · Views: 43
video card?

Do you recommend going with a new card all together? What about running the 550ti in SLI? since i already own one, this seems to be a cheaper choice.

How about this?

Running 2 of the same graphics card in SLI

Attachments

• comp..jpg
    comp..jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 49
I would suggest the psu i chose over yours as its a more stable and better one. Corsair makes some really good quality stuff. I made this build for another person so it was basically a complete new build. The mobo you chose is fine for sli. Well your set now.

6870 is the GPU you want. Only a hair slower than the GTX 560 and easy to find for 150 or 160 bucks. Huge savings. Avoid multiple GPUS unless necessary as it can cause headaches. If you have 300 and a bit get a 6970 or something instead of 2 6870s.

The Bulldozer CPUs will be out in 10 days or so. I would wait. They may offer better performance for $.

Back