• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EP45-UD3P will not power up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capttripppp

So here is the skinny..... It was working fine last night before I chose to change out the processor. I made the change and everything went as planned until I went to power it on. It just wont do it. This morning I took it all apart to clean the board itself and inspect it, and everything is fine and dandy. All contacts look good, no broken contacts in the socket. I tried one stick of ram etc etc, and the result is still the same..... Also tried a different processor, and shorted the PSU to make sure that it wasn't it. So I am really out of ideas and have no clue as to what it can be so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Edit: I just had a thought, could it be that I may have tightened down the water block too far and compressed the pins in the socket? I ask this because I am using a modded mount using bolts and nits to keep pressure on the water block cpu connection...???? If it is that would be possible to re-spring the pins (i.e. just pull them back out a little)????

Last edited:
I have with no luck..... If I leave the PSU shut off for a few minutes then flick it on and try the switch the fans on my VGU twitch a little but that's it

I tried a 5 min. reset of cmos, and am now trying a 30 min. reset (something I found in google), but I was unaware that a bad cmos battery would cause it not to boot.? Huh, well when I go to the store I will stop by Radio Shack and pick one up. So far I have been over this board with a fine tooth comb twice, and all circuitry is intact and there are no visible problems. That's why I bumped this early, I am more frustrated at this point then anything!
Edit: I also forgot to mention that when I turn the power on from the PSU the lights on the keyboard flash so there is power going through the board

Remove the water block and temporarily reinstall the stock HSF. Also make sure that in addition to the 24-pin ATX PSU connector, the 8-pin AUXPWR (AUX_12V_2x4) connector is also connected to the PSU.

All I have for HSF is a true extreme, and that thing more of pain to take on and off then the water block, and all necessary connections on psu work; I tried another 8 cpu MB that I have and it was good. Tried 30 min reset and no dice so I'll pick up a new cmos batt when I am out today.
Edit: picked new cmos battery and same thing..... no dice. Damn shame really. Should I be looking to get a new benching board?
Edit2: As an off thought.... Could it be possible that a short is being caused from where the bolts pass through the motherboard? I didn't put plastic around the bolt at that area from lack of experience/thought. Does anyone think this maybe a cause for concern?

Last edited:
Edit2: As an off thought.... Could it be possible that a short is being caused from where the bolts pass through the motherboard? I didn't put plastic around the bolt at that area from lack of experience/thought. Does anyone think this maybe a cause for concern?

Are you speaking of motherboard standoffs? The pieces which screw into the case and raise the motherboard slightly, then allow the board to be bolted to it? If so, I've never used "plastic around the bolt" ever and have never had any problems... So I don't think that's an issue. I could be wrong, though.

007.jpg
You can see where I have heat shrink on the bolts now. Where as before there was no heat shrink and when removing and reattaching the water block the threads could move and rub on the inside of the holes. It was a wild guess, but I tried it with the heatshrink on the bolts and was still a no go. So I am drawing a blank and literally have no clue as to what could have caused this. I have since switched out the E45 with a P35-DS3P and all ram and processors are working in it. So I don't know, I wish I could figure it out, but I am going on the hunt for a new UD3P I guess

Back