• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z68 gen3 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Hi all,

I just killed my p8p67-pro board and ordered a p8z68-pro BUT... I canceled the order. WHY? Because new z68 gen3 are out and I was wondering: worth it?

So, let the gurus give the answers!

Hi all,

I just killed my p8p67-pro board and ordered a p8z68-pro BUT... I canceled the order. WHY? Because new z68 gen3 are out and I was wondering: worth it?

So, let the gurus give the answers!

I think this depends on your budget too. I mean if one of those boards that officially support gen3 are in your budget why not right? It's double the bandwidth.

yep, budget is not an issue on this one, but I was wondering if it would get more chances to support Ivybridge...

This couldnt have been asked in your other thread about Z68 boards?

Gen3 boards have the hardwired PCIe3 stuff, I believe thats about the only difference. As was noted in your other thread, Most if not all Z68's will support Ivy bridge. The big difference will be in PCIe3 support or not...which as you should know, PCIe1 cards work in PCIe2 slots and 2 works in 1, so PCIe3 cards will be fine in PCIe2 slots if thats a limitation.

Last edited:
This couldnt have been asked in your other thread about Z68 boards?

Gen3 boards have the hardwired PCIe3 stuff, I believe thats about the only difference. As was noted in your other thread, Most if not all Z68's will support Ivy bridge. The big difference will be in PCIe3 support or not...which as you should know, PCIe1 cards work in PCIe2 slots and 2 works in 1, so PCIe3 cards will be fine in PCIe2 slots if thats a limitation.

Mmm... What about 7xxx & 6xx gfx, will they be pcie 3.0?

I believe so, yes. But at least from a bandwidth standpoint, it wont matter. Current cards, even dual GPU cards I believe, cant saturate PCIe2... so in that respect, 3 wont help.

I believe so, yes. But at least from a bandwidth standpoint, it wont matter. Current cards, even dual GPU cards I believe, cant saturate PCIe2... so in that respect, 3 wont help.

Exactly, it's the same as buying a SATA3 mechanical hard drive, it's basically for marketing (read: $$$) purposes as the drives (or in this case cards) can't fill the bandwidth capacity of the previous tech.

Back