• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for replacement laptop, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exia989

So my 2 year old Dell XPS 1640 laptop is on its way out the door. numerous issues with the screen (been replaced 3 times) and other issues have lead me to believe that its time to just get rid of it and get something a little more portable.

Since i have my desktop, i dont really need a workhorse laptop, so i dont want to spend as much as i did on this one. So im trying to find a good solid laptop with really good battery life, and mid range performance.

Only gaming i intend to do on it is stuff like SC2, WoW, D3 (whenever that comes out) and torchlight 2. Main use for it is taking it to class and whatnot.

Kinda like the look of the 13" MacBook Pro, but i think the integrated graphics might let me down a little bit, and the price kinda puts it as my last resort option. Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums!

I'm a big fan of Lenovo laptops, myself - they tend to be a little expensive but still cheaper than Macs. Something like the T420 might do the trick - the graphics ought to (IIRC) be better than the Mac, the screensize is a little larger, the resolution is better and the unit will have good battery life. They are definitely very solid laptops.

I'm not keen on most modern Dells - my other half has a disappointing Dell Studio 15 that has had a few issues and generally feels poorly built. I've recently been reviewing (review out very soon) an Alienware M11x-R3 which I thought was pretty good, although the M11 and M14 are both likely to exceed your price range, I guess.

Asus have a good reputation recently for decent price and good features, although I can't comment first-hand.

Hope this helps a little :)

Back