• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with overclocking i7 extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darthtrader

Hi
I have tried overclocking a few times

I have

Intel i7 extereme 980
24gb RAM kingston hyperx 1600
Gigbyte x58-ud7
850watt psu

I have tried overclocking by changing the bclk to 160 which changes the memory from 1333 to 1600 and changes the cpu from 3.33 to 4.0 but whenever i run a bench test or something that uses cpu to the extreme my pc shutsdown.

I have always had problems when i try to overclock this machine and have just left it running standard but i have started seeing machines overclocked out of the box recently i want some..

Hitting 4.0GHz on an i7-980X will require in the neighborhood of 1.25V Vcore, but w/ 24GB of RAM installed and running at 800MHz (160 BCLK x 10), the VTT (QPI/Vtt Voltage) will also need to be increased to ~1.30 - 1.35V or higher from the default of 1.120V. Also manually adjust the four primary RAM timings (CAS, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS) and DRAM voltage to their rated values at DDR3-1600. Also enable and set LLC (Load-Line Calibration) to Level 2, disable C-States, C1E, EIST, and Turbo Boost.

Isn't 1600MHz a little high for 1333MHz RAM? Move your multiplier down to 8 and you'll get 1280MHz. You won't notice a difference.

Back