• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dying power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kreationist

Registered
My computer has been "acting up" the past few days. Running slowly and taking longer to boot. Then when i turned it on this morning it was seriously weird. The fans pulsed in a way like power on, off, on, off, on... At the same time by back-lit keyboard was flashing as if it did not have the proper voltage. My computer will now no longer boot if all 3 of my HD's are in and my graphics card is in. Now the power supply is a generic 800watt PSU I got with my pc. And until recently has been running perfectly for over a year. Is it dying?

Also if it is dying I will need a replacement. I used the calculator on newegg and it seems I need a psu of at least 620 watts. I'm thinking of getting a 650watt modular or mostly modular power supply. I have a budget of around $85, suggestions for a new PSU if needed.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
MB: Gygabyte UD3H-890gx

Thanks a lot!

Do you have another PSU you could try from another system? You could try taking out all of the GPU / HDDs and see if you get the same issues (with the fans and keyboard lighting, obviously you won't be able to boot).

Try this PSU calculator and see what you come up with.

You may have trouble finding a modular PSU within your budget. The PSU isn't a place to skimp on quality, since it can affect the other components in your system.

If you can swing $100, I would try this one from the egg.

It seems to be working (no pulsing) when I run without my graphics card and only use 1 HD.

That sounds like you could have a bad power supply or a bad video card or a bad hard drive.

Do you have a digital multimeter you can use to test the power supply?

Sounds alot like a dying PSU given the booting issues. You'll probably want to verify that the drives aren't dying as well (Crystaldiskinfo, use the portable installer version), but I'd work on replacing the PSU first.

Back