• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 960T has made its way to retail (Newegg)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
would you take the chance?

I would... Correction... I will. Once I'm done benching my 955BE; I will move on to a 965BE and then on to that one. :D

Look at it this way... If someone is looking for a Phenom II X4 like say the 965BE (Listed for $129.99 on that screen); why wouldn't they get the 960T for $5 less? Overclocking the 960T to 965's stock speeds is easy as cake an then you have the "option" of maybe getting a cheap(er) hexacore.

Im debating. As of this writing. There is a 955BE for $70 on the classys. It either that or this. Upgrading from a 720BE.

Question is, Is there a board out there that can handle a quad to hexacore unlcok? It would need to be AM3+ and have high enough voltage rating on the cpu insert.

Edit: Posted before doing my research like an idiot. Looks like the Thubans are at 125w and the 960T Zosman is at 95w and both are AM3 chipsets.

Last edited:
THATS interesting, I will be curious to see someone actually unlock it first though

It's already been done plenty of times...

Tom'sHW -> Here

I have to say that if the benches from BD prove to be bad then I might just put my money into one of these for the fun of it

Oh... One of these will find its way to my home regardless of BD's performance. I like benching AMD. :D

Question is, Is there a board out there that can handle a quad to hexacore unlcok? It would need to be AM3+ and have high enough voltage rating on the cpu insert.

Edit: Posted before doing my research like an idiot. Looks like the Thubans are at 125w and the 960T Zosman is at 95w and both are AM3 chipsets.

LOL... I was just going to point out to you that these unlock to Thuban 6-Core chips and any board that Supports one of those should be able to unlock one of these and run it safely. :D

Well an issue I ran into was that when I was trying to unlock my callisto was that my mobo only supported up to 95 watts to the cpu so when i tried to unlock the extra cores it wouldn't stick. I would give it a new name and all but it would only have two cores.

Well an issue I ran into was that when I was trying to unlock my callisto was that my mobo only supported up to 95 watts to the cpu so when i tried to unlock the extra cores it wouldn't stick. I would give it a new name and all but it would only have two cores.

Well... That's because you bought a board that wasn't designed for X4s to begin with. If one has a board that supports the Thuban CPUs (125W) then there won't be an issue for the board in supporting this chip when/if it unlocks to hexacore.

Tom's hardware says it's a 50% risk is that true.:popcorn:

All I take from their claim is that 50% of the chips "they" tested unlocked successfully. At any rate; the volume of chips produced/sold is way too high for whatever "sample size" they were working with to be a good representation of the entire production of chips.
Having said that; if someone wants a hexacore chip; they should just pony up the extra $20 and get a 1090T.

That's their estimate, with zero fact behind it.

I say it's more like 105% likely. Because I have a website it must be fact/true. :p

QFT. :thup:

Last edited:
720BE... does it unlock? You sure it's worth going from that to just one more core?

Well. I just upgraded my 720BE to a 955BE. I hope I see an improvement there, so I would hope someone would see an improvement from the 720 to the 960T.

Granted, if the improvement is not good enough, I am just going to go buy Intel :)

720BE... does it unlock? You sure it's worth going from that to just one more core?

it unlocks in a DDR2 system, it doesent in a DDR3 system and i made the swap a few months ago and have tried everything.
it will unlock at stock speeds but it wont overclock at all and i figure 3.6 Ghz on three is a bit faster than stock on four. but if i go 201 on the fsb or one multi higher on stock fsb it wont boot at all even with the voltage all the way up to 1.6v

also with the potental to unlock some more cores i think it'll be worth it if it unlocks or not

i need a computer for my wife so mine doesent fill up with a bunch of junk from face book, ect but for the time being it'll be using a windsor (which is fine) but i might as well stick it in there when i get the 960.

i was wondering how more efficent is a 960 going to be clock per clock compared to a 720? different designs so i thought i would ask, didnt want to have another windsor/brisbane issue where although the brisbane was new the windsor was still getting more done

Oh I didn't know the 720 won't unlock with DDR3... it's AM3 though....

Back