• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question / confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aebstract

Registered
I don't know much about motherboards, not sure how to say this one is better than that one and for these reasons. I'm looking around at motherboards, needing to get one for an i7 2600k and looking between two motherboards I'm not sure the difference besides card slots honestly.

Here are the two for discussion in this case:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128520

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

What I do know: The second board is highly recommended. I'm a big gigabyte fan, because I have gotten several of their boards and never had any issues/they've all ran great.

Why would I choose the $350 board over the $90 board? I'm sure there are reasons, I just don't know what they are. Serious responses please. Thanks!

The Asus board can run 4 PCIE video cards (at least two in 16x) where as the gigabyte board can only run two cards 16x/4x.

Also the Asus board can handle a lot more SATA3 6GB/s devices.

Then it starts to boil down to overclocking features, mainboard PWM pin outs, better BIOS etc.... Asus tends to have the edge when it comes to stuff like that on their top of the line boards from the ROG.

Okay, I do plan on overclocking my cpu and want to do it well/stable, but is all the extra necessary? I'm probably only going to be running a single video card and maybe upgrading to run dual cards eventually. Is the cheaper board capable of overclocking just as well?

Looking at asus boards, they have some z68 boards that are on a lower price range, around $150-200. I don't wanna short myself and what I can do with a cheaper motherboard if that's what will happen, but I don't necessarily want to pay $300+ for a board if I really don't need the extra slots/sata/etc.

48 views and no more responses as to good solid reasoning for a $350 board over a $100 board?

SNB overclocking is not much board dependant.
BUT a good board is always a plus (mosfet/vrm heatsink).
I am limited in my PhII oc because of my board. The cpu can take up to 1.55/1.57v, but the mosfets on the board would "plop" are there are not cooled down.
Have a look at the Asus p8z68 series.
I think you find them from 140 to 200 bucks.

Okay, I'll take a look at those. I don't want to just cheap out on a board, that's definitely not my goal in this at all. I also plan on eventually adding in the mofsets, vga, etc in to my water loop, but not immediately. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that Asrock is a good player as well.
Have a look at their z68 chipset boards.
I moved from Asus to Asrock last week and am really happy with this Fatality z68 gen3.

Gigabyte and asus both have some good boards. I really like the ud4, black pcb is just sexy.

Back