• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerkid

I will probably make a giant post, but I will make a simple one for now so people don't have these issues anymore.

First and foremost, in the bios LLC is disabled when using offset. If you boot into windows, open up touch bios you can use LLC and offsets badda bing badda boom.

Secondly, when using XMP profiles with this board you MUST set the ram to "standard". There is standard, turbo, extreme. If you are using turbo/extreme it will be stupid as hell, set your command rate to 1t instead of 2t like it should be, and cause BSOD's and REALLY random crashes, and laggy play back of extremely high resolution videos lol.

Next little tip I have with this board is a "break in" period. I could not get 4.5ghz stable for the life of me, took me all the way up to 1.39 - 1.4vcore load to get it stable, now after a few days of tweaking and the hardware set in I am at 1.33 - 1.34 load vcore :).

For anyone curious, temps with my hyper 212+ with all my fans on low, cpu fan speed set to disabled for 100% fan speed, I am getting 52C 100% load temps, max with linx I am seeing 60c. This is with a very good thermal paste job and a "perfect" seating. It took me a few tries but I finally got it lol.

Lets see what else I can touch base on...Oh yes, CPU PLL voltage is a known trick to LOWER, this board really enjoys anywhere from 1.7 to 1.75, NOT the stock 1.8.

Just for the hell of it since I wanna make this a book apparently, I will post my settings for a stable 4.5ghz on this chip currently.

All turbo mutli's at 45 obviously, using offset voltage +0.025 gives 1.34 load vcore 0.020 is also stable for 3hrs of linx, haven't tested more then that, 0.015 bsod'd after 4hrs of linx lol. QPI/VTT voltage deserves a small bump and has helped me LOWER my vcore and increase my ram overclock. 1.15 to 1.9 is what I recommend, most say to stay under 1.2 so keep that in mind. CPU PLL at 1.75, dram voltages at 1.52 *slight bump over stock 1.5*. Memory settings are default xmp profile set to standard for a 2t command rate. Leave Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage, Turbo power limit, Core Current limit, C1E, C3/C6, Cpu thermal monitor, Cpu EIST and bi-directional prochot all on AUTO. The reason for this is that at idle you will save A LOT of power/electricity/cash. No reason you need to be at 4.5 while typing an email or web browsing or watching a 1080p video. Simply leave them on auto and when you need the speed it will be there, you will NOT have any delays alt tabbing to games to movies etc. Speed instantly goes up and so does vcore. It's GREAT to have a low vcore on the cpu at idle, this allows you to have lower temps and to avoid degradation of the chip. The less voltage it sees for regular use the better and longer the chip will survive.

Next topic of discussion is the lucid virtu technology this board has. First and foremost if you are going to install the intel drivers for onboard video and the lucid drivers. The ONLY way you can install the lucid drivers is to go into the bios/touch bios, go to boot disk and where it says INIT DISPLAY FIRST set that to onboard. You then have to have the hdmi cable hooked up from the board to a tv/monitor so you can see **** obviously. Once the drivers are installed / lucid drivers are installed you can run a monitor on dvi with your dedicated gpu and a TV with the integrated sandybridge gpu at the same time through hdmi.

It's pretty nice being able to watch a full 1080p movie and talk to friends, browse the web, convert a movie from 720p to 1080p and make this post lol. It's a good idea to use 480MB+2MB for GTT for the IGD Frame Buffer Size, this gives a little more headroom for larger file formats and or any gaming that might be done with the IGPU.

Last but not least to help keep this tidy with the system if you are not using things such as usb 3.0, Gsata3 controllers, and other things set them to disabled.

All in all though this is a great board, especially for the money and or the discounts you can get with the board + corsair vengeance xmp ram at newegg. I have NO complaints about this board OTHER then the restart cycle / loops that it can get stuck in when the o/c setting is to high or just because the board feels like it occasionally lol. A quick cmos clears this well known issue with the gigabyte boards, at least for the time being.

Ok......

1. There isnt a break in period. It was your settings that did it, not sitting around breaking in.
2. I have used XMP profiles with Turbo on this board. Sounds like your specific ram doesnt like 1T at the XMP settings...mine do.

Otherwise, nice little micro review/blog/experience!

Seconded
Ok......

1. There isnt a break in period. It was your settings that did it, not sitting around breaking in.
2. I have used XMP profiles with Turbo on this board. Sounds like your specific ram doesnt like 1T at the XMP settings...mine do.

Otherwise, nice little micro review/blog/experience!

Most XMP ram is rated at 2T command rate, my ram hates 1t thats 100% for sure. As far as the break in thing, im sure it was my settings but it REALLY seems like this system has been more stable after burning in, whether or not it is, I have no proof other then lower voltages aka vcore, but either way I am happy :)

Something else to add.

SPEED STEP DOES NOT WORK WITH A FIXED VOLTAGE ON THIS MOTHERBOARD. YOU MUST USE OFFSETS.

Another thing to note with this board is that offsets occasionally don't work. If you switch from manual voltage to offsets, the offset will not be applied. If you are using manual, simply go to bios, load optimized defaults save and exit. Then go back in, set the offset up, save and exit. If you don't do it this way, the offset voltages are not applied correctly, this is 100% tested a million annoyingly times.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm reading and learning a lot, thanks for your post and your very detailed settings info, as this is a HUGE help to me!

But I am not familiar with offsets or their function/utility. Could you point me to a good place to read about them to learn? Everyone here talks about them constantly like it's common knowledge, so a search brings up millions of topics which I can't wade through.

Thanks!

I just checked in the BIOS and the variation is killing me....

When looking at the current processes in MIT, here's what I see...

VCORE 1.464-1.476 (it fluxuates sometimes)
DRAM Voltage 1.536

In the actual advance voltage settings screen, here's what I see (and what is set)

Load Line 6
VCORE 1.375 (1.400)
DRAM 1.500 (1.520)
CPU PLL 1.800 (1.700)

And no idea what these do...

QPI/Vtt 1.050 (Normal)
System Agent Voltage 0.920

Yet CPU-Z shows 1.056V - this is version 1.57.1, which seems to read fine on other Gigabyte Z68 boards
HWiNFO shows 1.488V
CoreTemp shows 1.3811V

WTH?

<edit> I crashed trying to run wPrime32 at those settings immediately, BSOD. So I went back into the BIOS, which automatically resets and takes me 3 times to get into, so I set the multi to 51 and change Load Line to 8 instead of 6. Now, here are my readings:

MIT VCORE 1.512 (?!?!)
------------------------
Advanced Voltage Settings
VCORE 1.380 (1.400, I didn't change this, only multi and Load Line)
------------------------
Core Temp 1.3861
HWiNFOR 1.524 (!!!)

I just don't get how I am getting such variable readings (I know CPU-Z is useless for this, for me anyways), and I'm kind of going by the highest one, 1.524, which is ridiculous to get to 5.1GHz, from what I can tell, and it's making me nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I'm beginning to wonder... is "offset" the LoadLine somehow?

Last edited:
As others have said either install touch bios, or use cpuid hardware monitor to watch your temps / voltage.

With this board I recommend setting LLC to disabled and then using the vcore that you would like. Whatever vcore you set in bios will be VERY close to your actual, if not higher. My vcore is usually higher then what I set it to. For example I have it set at 1.37 and I am seeing 1.40volts load in windows and 1.416 in bios.

Also you are randomly rebooting because of the command rate on the ram. EVERY time you go into your bios, make sure the command rate is set at 2t for the ram, these boards like to randomly set it to 1T and give people issues.

When setting up voltages, if you set your vcore to normal, and then DVID *extra voltage* you can use speed step and c1/ce all that jazz. What this does is at idle uses VERY low voltage and lowers your cpu mhz down, but when you need it aka gaming/benching/stability testing it raises it to whatever you have set. This is the ideal way to have your system for 24/7 use and I recommend everyone uses it.

WHEN SWITCHING TO OFFSETS YOU MUST!! REPEAT MUST LOAD FAIL SAFE DEFAULTS, SAVE AND EXIT, THEN SET THEM. OTHERWISE THEY WILL NOT BE APPLIED

BIG NOTE!!!!!@#!@#!@#!@#!
IF YOU DO NOT USE OFFSETS YOU CAN NOT USE INTEL SPEEDSTEP AND C1/C3 ETC. YOUR MHZ WILL LOWER BUT YOUR VOLTAGE WILL NOT. WHEN USING MANUAL VOLTAGE WHATEVER YOU SET IT TO IT WILL ALWAYS ALWAYS BE THAT. YOU CAN NOT 100% TESTED HAVE LOWER VCORE THEN WHAT YOU ARE SET AT, NO MATTER WHAT SETTINGS YOU HAVE ENABLED. YOU MUST USE OFFSETS FOR THIS!

Last edited:
Also you are randomly rebooting because of the command rate on the ram. EVERY time you go into your bios, make sure the command rate is set at 2t for the ram, these boards like to randomly set it to 1T and give people issues.
This is possible, yes. But as mentioned above, I have this board and run a 1T Command Rate with my sticks...so it depends on the memory. I would set it to w/e the sticks are just in case... but again its not the mobo its the ram that has the problems with it.

Last edited:
Good to know... I should have some time on Monday to play with some of this stuff.

Thanks!

This is possible, yes. But as mentioned above, I have this board and run a 1T Command Rate with my sticks...so it depends on the memory. I would set it to w/e the sticks are just in case... but again its not the mobo its the ram that has the problems with it.

It's actually a mixture of both. You can set the command rate to 2T with this mobo and it will magically change to 1T time and time again. I will post a video if you don't take my word for it <3.

BIG EDIT: IF YOU ARE USING CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 RAM, ESPECIALLY THE 4X2 FOR A TOTAL OF 8GB YOU MUST INCREASE THE VOLTAGE FOR 1600MHZ. 1333 WANTS 1.5VOLTS, 1600MHZ IS 1.6VOLTS!
This is the ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

It's actually a mixture of both. You can set the command rate to 2T with this mobo and it will magically change to 1T time and time again. I will post a video if you don't take my word for it <3.

BIG EDIT: IF YOU ARE USING CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 RAM, ESPECIALLY THE 4X2 FOR A TOTAL OF 8GB YOU MUST INCREASE THE VOLTAGE FOR 1600MHZ. 1333 WANTS 1.5VOLTS, 1600MHZ IS 1.6VOLTS!
This is the ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

The link you posted says Only qualified 1.5V XMP RAM

High-performance 8GB Vengeance Dual Channel Kit, 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V

LINK: http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b.html

I have 2x of that, for 8GB, and that exact mobo. I've never had the mobo reset to 1T on me. Maybe update your BIOS? F7 just came out - though I'm running F6 for several weeks w/o incident.

To be clear, I just recently stopped using the auto - XMS profile and switched to manual. But that hasn't been a problem for me - it's kept my settings through various reboots & OC adjustments.

Sounds like an issue with your board... or I got lucky and have one that doesn't have that flaw :)

I'm running 16GB (4x4) of Corsair Vengeance and have never had my Command Rate auto set itself to anything but 2T.

The board is what is changing the command rate. And the ram NEEDS more voltage then 1.5volts for 1600mhz GENERALLY speaking. If you read some of the reviews you will see that the ram can do 1700+ mhz but needs a ton of voltage. A lot of people including myself can NOT get stable with 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-41-2T unless we are running 1.55-1.6volts through the ram. I have tested this on several bios's and like I said, if you would like some proof of the random change from 2t to 1t, I would be more then happy to make a video sometime. It's the board absolutely, but the flaw is annoying.

I believe you that your board/ram are doing that to you!

I just was trying to dampen the warning you seemed to be giving to all possible prospective buyers - just an anecdote that I've got that RAM (8GB, 2 sticks) and haven't experienced that problem. But obviously you have!

One thing that mobo does to me is to freak out on a bad OC and randomly ignore my new settings until I reboot a second time. I.e. the first time an OC fails, it tells me, drops me into the BIOS, where I fix settings, boot into Windows, see that my settings (turbo multiplier) didn't take properly, and I have to reboot, reenter BIOS, do my settings again, boot into Windows, and ah, NOW they take effect. D'oh! (This behavior is true of F4 and F6 bios revisions, dunno about others)

Back