• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will you still buy BD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zizux

I for one plan on ordering tomorrow if they are available on the egg or amazon and here is why;

I'm a heavily multitasking user. I use virtual machines, play games have various apps going etc. I never got a 2nd gen i7, as they are faster but didn't seem like they would be much of an improvement. I found that for what I do my x6 is slower at any single application by a few % sure but it ends up providing me with a better experience. Hyperthreading with VM's isn't nearly as good as actual cores.

Its not on common for me to be multitasking in between deaths while gaming.

For the price, and for me it is a better upgrade then trying to go SB and here is why besides the above mentioned.

SB I would have to buy a new motherboard. With BD I allready have a 990fx board and can cycle my x6 into an older one.

BD I something new. I like new.

Comes with a fairly decent cooler. I've seen a few people talk about how if the 8150 was $200 it would be awesome. Well think of it as a $200 cpu and a $50 cooler.

Its unlocked and you don't have to pay extra.

When you game on 3 1080p monitors, having a good cpu matters but video cards matter more so for me, gaming is a toss up. Sure a i7-2600k might net me a few more FPS but at this level I wouldn't be able to notice.

All in all, they aren't getting the crown back from Intel. Which would be nice to see. But I personally think the FX line is a good product, and I tend to buy things that I think are good products.

Some good points. It all hinges on the strengths and weaknesses of both AMD and Intel (more cores vs. better per core performance) in relation to application and price point. Nothing has really changed.

I just ordered a 2500K and a new board to go with it. My use is mostly gaming. Ended up being about $100 cheaper than an 8150 + 990FX board, which is what I would have done otherwise. Hopefully I can sell my current board and CPU to recoup some of the cost as well.
So no, I won't be buying BD :)

Yea ordering.. either way it's going to do my livestream some good. I don't want to bother with a 3 week RMA process atm either.

I for one plan on ordering tomorrow if they are available on the egg or amazon and here is why;

I'm a heavily multitasking user. I use virtual machines, play games have various apps going etc. I never got a 2nd gen i7, as they are faster but didn't seem like they would be much of an improvement. I found that for what I do my x6 is slower at any single application by a few % sure but it ends up providing me with a better experience. Hyperthreading with VM's isn't nearly as good as actual cores.

My usage is different than yours.

Its not on common for me to be multitasking in between deaths while gaming.

For the price, and for me it is a better upgrade then trying to go SB and here is why besides the above mentioned.

SB I would have to buy a new motherboard. With BD I allready have a 990fx board and can cycle my x6 into an older one.

Been waiting for BD before deciding to go BD or SB. I have to get a new MB anyways so it's SB for me.

BD I something new. I like new.

I like mature platforms. Let someone else iron out the bugs. SB has been out for a year. CPU and MB are readily available. Lots of package deals and sales can be found.

Comes with a fairly decent cooler. I've seen a few people talk about how if the 8150 was $200 it would be awesome. Well think of it as a $200 cpu and a $50 cooler.

Have plenty of aftermarket coolers. I consider coolers that come with any CPU as paperweight at best or an overpriced paperweight at worst.

Its unlocked and you don't have to pay extra.

2500K and 2600K are both unlocked and priced competitive, considering the performance.

When you game on 3 1080p monitors, having a good cpu matters but video cards matter more so for me, gaming is a toss up. Sure a i7-2600k might net me a few more FPS but at this level I wouldn't be able to notice.

All in all, they aren't getting the crown back from Intel. Which would be nice to see. But I personally think the FX line is a good product, and I tend to buy things that I think are good products.

Having owned 2 socket A systems, 4 socket 939 systems, a socket 754 system, and 2 AMD3 systems, I'm disappointed. Was hoping they'd be a bit ahead of Intel as this will push Intel. Unfortunately Intel can continue to take their sweet time and charge whatever they want.

Nope, saving the money and getting a Radeon HD 7970 when it's out instead.
Then upgrade to IvyBridge.
When I look at the PhII 980 and a 8150 benchmarks , I don't see the point of changing from my PhII@4GHz...

I cant see the point. If I already had an am3+ board, then ok. But a 2600k beats it already, and at $279 from Microcenter it is a better deal. If $30 to $50 is the deciding factor in what camp to buy, then perhaps a computer isn't what they need to be buying right now. I feel bad for those who waited for this. Seems like a huge letdown.

I might get a 4 core, but I can't seem to find one yet. As a serious other option I am considering getting one of the 960T to see if I can unlock it to 6 core, but mainly to bench for fun

As God_tattoo says, really can't see the point, for less you can buy a 2500k which clock like a beast with a decent board, all for around $350.... if you already have a 2600k setup then the answer is obvious, stay with what you have as getting a FX will be going several steps back.

When I bought my present upgrade at the beginning of this year, I had the thought that when BD was released users would flock to it and the market would flood with cheap high performance AM3 processors. I would be able to buy a cheap upgrade to give this system a modest performance boost. Right now it seems unlikely that that is going to happen. That's just as well I suppose since MSI has removed the faster 125 watt processors from their list of supported processors for my mobo.

I won't buy BD yet, my overclocked P2 955 will be more than good enough to handle anything for some time.

You don't need a 990fx board to run BD. There are 700 and 800 series AM3+ boards.

I will skipping it and wait for the refresh and windows 8. (+10% from windows 8 +10% from refresh. :) )

Thuban appears to hold strong in most of the benchmarks and still gives that AMD desktop feel so going to stick with that for now.

I also have Sandy Bs laying around so the more core thing is not necessary, if I need something for enocding I can toss it on the SB.

As God_tattoo says, really can't see the point, for less you can buy a 2500k which clock like a beast with a decent board, all for around $350.... if you already have a 2600k setup then the answer is obvious, stay with what you have as getting a FX will be going several steps back.

I'm sure if I didn't have a board and or if I already had SB I wouldn't bother.

Fan on my coolermaster v8 just went out last night on my i7 system while it was batch encoding. I fear it might be dead now. But had to get to work.

I'll probably get the replacement for x58 after it comes out.

I was planning on getting bulldozer, but with all of the delays, hush hush and leaked early benchmarks I knew it wouldn't be worth it. So I've had this 2500k over a month now and after seeing the benchmarks, I don't regret it. It still came as a shock to me....I just don't know what happened.

Back