• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Be happy with 4.5ghz oc or go for 5? i5 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shoolie22

Registered
Ok so I only use my pc for gaming and everything runs like a dream, but since oc'ing to 4.5 was so easy should I try and go higher? These are the settings I used for a 4.5 oc

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency - 100
Turbo Ratio: 45
Memory Frequency - 1600mhz
CAS Latency - 9
RAS to CAS Delay - 9
RAS Pre Time - 9
RAS ACT Time - 24
DRAM Command Mode - Auto
CPU Voltage - Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage - 1.25v
DRAM Voltage - 1.5v
PLL Overvoltage - Disabled

Running Prime95 over night I got 0 errors and my temps were a solid 57c except for one core occasionally hitting 61c (used coretemp and realtemp). So what do you guys think don't mess with a good thing or go for 5.0?

Nice work:thup:
You have a very nice CPU there, 4.5 Ghz with only 1.25v, going up to 5 Ghz should be possible, you will most probably have to go around 1.40-1.45v is my guess as the scaling is not linear. At your current load temps I would say definitely go for 5 Ghz

Wow, nice, wish my chip did 4.5Ghz at 1.25v! :shock: Currently running mine at 4.5Ghz at 1.344v load :-/ I think my memory might be killing me though, when I rum P95 for a while, it doesn't BSOD, it just freezes... Anyways, why not push it a little? Looks like you got a great chip! :attn:

Ok so far I've been unsuccessful I tried 4.8 at 1.37 but my pc would only boot up to the windows logo and stay there. You guys think I just need to add more vcore, or are there some other settings I should be adjusting when trying to oc past 4.5?

I ran Prime95 for 9 hours at my 4.5 settings just to make sure I was stable even at these settings and I got 0 errors.

59015031.jpg

As I said voltage scaling is not linear, you will need 1.4 v to run at 4Ghz and up to 1.45v (or even a bit more) to get to 5 Ghz.
Trial and error

Back