• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Router for 5k sqft House

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

My parents are in the process of moving to Colorado and are getting satelite for internet. (no cable based IP where their located)

Apparently the IP doesnt provide a router...:shrug:
They will have 2 offices, one upstairs and one downstairs.
Both computers have wireless NICs.

-So they need a wireless router that will work well within 5,000 sq ft. Im sure the distance between rigs and the router will be less but just in case.

-Also since my parents are pretty much network newbs the router will need to be easy to setup. (if the IP doesnt set it up for them)

-Price is not really an issue but they dont need anything ridiculous.

Thanks!

Netgear N600 would also be sufficient. Try to locate the router as central as possible, even if it means extending a couple of the network cables to it. Avoid putting it on main beams or next to duct work, again if possible. You can also add wireless repeaters if needed, but generally wireless N has been performing well for our clients despite walls and floors.

2 square acres isn't that much if the router is centrally located (about 400x400 feet, which is only ~200 feet if located in the middle). Our trendnet wireless N reaches our back yard about 200 feet away, and it's not an exceptionally good router by any means. I think you get more from wireless technology through proper and ideal placement of the router than pumping tons of wattage through tiny antennas. Remember that transmission is only half the path, the devices still need to reach the router with return data.

Last edited:
Back