• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston KHX8500D2T1K2/4G on Asus P5K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haelix

Registered
Hello all!

I registered because I though someone here might help.
I have 2 pairs of Kingston KHX8500D2T1K2/4G for a total of 8GB and I can't make them work at the manufacturer quoted capabilities on my Asus P5K.

With everything on AUTO they work at 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 (3 memtest passes).

Manufacturer says memory is "tested to run at DDR2-1066MHz at a latency timing of 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V - 2.3V".
I tried these numbers (2.20, 2.25 and 2.30 for the voltage) and I get memtest errors at various pass and memory locations, but usually at test #5.

Any thoughts? I have found no posts for my specific config, so I thought I should ask directly. I need that much memory for virtualization & stuff.

Many thanks,
Haelix

Welcome!

With 4 sticks (and more ram) it puts more stress on the Nortbridge in your case. Raise your NB volts .1v and see if that helps out.

Welcome!

With 4 sticks (and more ram) it puts more stress on the Nortbridge in your case. Raise your NB volts .1v and see if that helps out.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

It took a while because I was having heat problems, installed 3 additional fans.

Short story, it doesn't work.
For NB voltage I have 1.25, 1.40, 1.55 and 1.70.
Assuming that the default is 1.25, I tried 1.40 together with DRAM voltage 2.20, 2.25 and 2.30. Memtest errors, always at test #5 and never in first pass. What's worse, at 1.40 I also have had restarts.

There are loads of parameters on that BIOS page and I'm inexperienced... the possible combinations are in the hundreds... and it takes at least a couple of hours to test. Please help.... from what you have experienced, is my configuration workable at 1066 (as both the MB and RAM mfr say)?

What else could I try first? Thanks.

With the DRAM frequency at DDR2-1066, the four primary timings set to 5-5-5-18, and the DRAM voltage set to 2.2V, make sure Command Rate is set to 2T, tRFC is set to 52-60, NB voltage is set to 1.40V, and DRAM Static Read Control is disabled.

Hi,

Just for the record, I was unable to fix this. With any setting I tried that includes 1066Mhz, i got memtest errors as late as in the 5th pass (so 4 successful passes). Since I have limited time to test this, I gave up.

A noteworthy remark, i think: I was still able to work at 1066Mhz (Linux system stable, win7 64 virtual machine on virtualbox). EXCEPT one situation. I discovered that the linux diff command gave inconsistent results with my memory running at 1066. I realize this is a strong statement so I spent a couple of days testing this. After diffing identical files totalling tens of gigabytes, hundred of times, about one in 5 passes were erroneous with the memory running at 1066 (i.e. identical files reported as different), but when running at 800Mhz I never got one error.

As a consequence, I now reverted to 800Mhz.

The obvious advice would be to take care about settings like these if you do critical work.

Back