• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's this blue thing for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staz

I bought two of these fans at a surplus wharehouse for $2 each. The only discription was " 92x92x25mm 12VDC fan removed from new equipment" I went Nidec's website and found that it is a 3100 rpm 48cfm 34.5db ball bearing fan. It doesn't say anything about that little blue thing sticking out of the hub on the bottom right corner. Is it a therositor or something. and what is it for?

its a thermister alright.... Dont know about the fan, but im sure it has some sort of temperature control on it. sorry i oculdnt be of more help

2 bucks thats a great price.. yeah it looks like the temp thing under my cpu right now and on my motherboard.. and im also guessing its for temp control.. great price man..

it could possibly work on the same principle as the thermaltake case fans(i.e. as the temperature in the case builds up the fans speed up) but that'd just be guess. I guess if you put them in and listen you'll find out

It's a temp sensor for sure I have a similar fan. With the right application it's designed to speed up the fan as case temps increase would be my guess.............not sure though.
Stay Cool
Pepsi

I have 2 fans with these thermosistor rated at 48cfm and 2 fans rated at 52 cfm withut the thermosisors and one 80mm fan (don't know cfm) plus psu fan. I looked at specs again and they give 48cfm but give 2500 to 3100 rpm +/- 10% so I am guessing the thermosistor regulats fan speed but it doesn't say anything about it on thier website (including what speed at what temp) so I guess these will be the exaust fans.

they could very well be controlled by software. I, for one, am not familiar with these models, or the compnay for that matter, so i couldn't tell you. However it might be worth your time to look into some software for controlling the fans. But the sure way to tell if they are regulated or not would be to monitor the rpms and the temperatures inside the case.

thermodidoes sound like a good idea but are flawed, most of us have good cooling so it will never reach 100%, and when 92mm fans are used as intake they use cold air. Cut it off and cross the wires or cut it off and put a variable resistor there instead to manually control it's speed

Back