• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyanM7

Hey I am new to building computer. I have purchased parts to a new computer, and I was wondering how can I take my old hard drive with windows 7 out of my old computer and transfer it to my new computer.

Unless the old and new computer have identical hardware it would be be better to do a fresh install of Win 7 on the new computer.

So I can wipe my old hard drive and just reinstall my windows 7 disk that I have for my new computer, I just don't want to have to spend 200 extra dollars if I don't need to.

Here's how I would do it.

1. Install the old HDD into your new computer.
2. Boot into your Win 7 installation dvd.
3. Delete all partitions on the HDD.
4. Install Win 7 in the new free space (or if you like, create a new partition of the size you want and install Win 7 onto it).

Here's how I would do it.

1. Install the old HDD into your new computer.
2. Boot into your Win 7 installation dvd.
3. Delete all partitions on the HDD.
4. Install Win 7 in the new free space (or if you like, create a new partition of the size you want and install Win 7 onto it).

First things first, would be to back up all the data before deleting all contents off the HDD. You can do a Windows Profile Transfer if you have lots of settings you wish to retain, just remember to use the same username afterwards when restoring the profile (done after you have installed all the apps you had previously).

Then the above steps would be fine. Backing up your data should always your first step (or ensuring that a recent backup is sufficient)

You might want to consider an upgrade hdd any way. How old is the old hdd? What size and speed is it? You can purchase a new fast hdd for way less then $200 now days. You could install a new hdd for OS and use old hdd for storage.
Just my thoughts.

Doesn't sound like he wants to or cares about backing up data, and he has a cd of win 7 with the cd key. All he needs to do is connect the HD to the new computer and do a fresh format/install of win 7. If the HD is <2007 I'd consider replacing. HDs are the most likely component to fail due to wear.

Back