• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping building Christmas present this is gonna be a challenge!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

Ok my dad is still on a single core Pentium 4 3.2ghz with like 1.5gb of ram.

Well he runs a website and does alot of work related paper work on his computer and usually has no joke about 12-15 tabs or more open i have went in before and tried to look something up ,being to lazy to walk to my room, and it takes like 30 seconds to switch tabs. I would like to get him a dual core or what ever i can get the more cores the better.

LOL now here is the challenge!!! I want to spend right at $70 bucks lol. So it will be some older hardware.

Stuff i already have
1gb or DDR2 667 will buy another one off ebay only about $3 Or still have the 1.5gb or ddr in his old build.
Power supply
Case and all hardware to get him wireless.
350gb ata hard drive brand new
Agp nvidia 7300

So all i need is a cpu and a mobo

Im looking at ebay or on the forum i would like to be able to keep the clocks at least at 2.5ghz or faster and looking for the best bang for the buck. This is what i need help with. I want to get the most for the money. I know this wont be a I7 or anything just get him a good workstation. Again just a good multi tasking cpu and mobo combo that will work with the old hardware. Intel or AMD.

Thanks all!!!!

Shadowlid

You have a power supply that you may be able to use. The case you can probably use. The hard drive is an old standard and you'll have to not only find a very affordable mobo but one that has a parallel ATA port. You don't have enough RAM, 2GB being a bare minimum for any kind of usable system IMO, and it's DDR2, which if you were to use it ties your hands more because now you're looking for an AM2 or 775 board so you can use DDR2 that has a PATA port and decent integrated video because AGP doesn't exist any more. It's like threading a rope through a needle I think to track that kind of stuff down and stay in budget. That's all I was saying. You're going to have to find (2-4GB) RAM, a motherboard (with decent integrated video, and PATA), and a CPU on $70 and I just think that's too ambitious :).

Get him a real present and spend $400, build him something current. I have to agree with OCnoob that budget is kinda unrealistic.

Well true but im a broke college student lol. Guess im gonna have to up the budget its looks like!! LOL Well lets say $150-200 what we looking like in that price range?

You can do it, I have done it in the past you just need a 775 motherboard that supports dual core and Pata also a dual core CPU.

eBay is your friend.:popcorn::cool:

Back