• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX HD 5870 Artifacting issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

Hi guys, i have had this issue with the card from the start, it has been bearable though as it doesnt affect all my games but it does affect most. The problem is, i recently installed crysis again, this time round it was working fine without the artifacting at all, just great visuals and ran fantastic. Then, i tried isntalling another stick of ram, so i powered down, pushed in the new stick, powered up and went back into the game and bang, artifacts everywhere, so i removed the stick, then tried, still artifacts, i then spent 3 hours cleaning drivers with driver sweeper and reinstalling all different types of catalyst. Im now back to 9.11 and im at my wits end, i cant work past this issue. The absolute MAD thing is, its dependant on temperature too, as the card gets warmer, the artifacts get less, untill the card hits 58 degrees then they more or less go completely but sometimes the game crashes, im sure these artifacts cant be doing my card much good. The fact that it doesnt happen to ALL games and the fact that it wasnt happening earlier today on crysis, surely that means its a software problem and not a defective hardware issue. Has any1 else had similar issues? i have read plenty on the net and these xfx cards seem plauged with similar issues but im yet to see / hear of an issue exactly like mine. The pics dont show the full extent, i have a video of it, im going to render the video down to a more managable size and then post that too.
Any help GREATLY appreciated, really want this card to work well as its amazing when its functioning properly.

Oh i better just state, im running windows 7 32bit, catalyst 9.11 (altho i have tried tons of drivers to no avail) directx 11. Basicly all up to date drivers etc. The system is as stated in my sig and the issue is there regardless of wether the card is overclocked or stock. The card is unmodded, no bios update nor after market coolers, its as bought and overclocked in CCC only.
Thanks

Well i have tried removing ram, different slots, different timings, tried everything i can think of and i still cant get rid of these damn artifacts. Could really use some help, surely i cant be the only one with these symptoms ?!
Any help or even ideas to try greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys

My old card artifacted when stock or overclocked. But artifacting was gone when I UNDERCLOCKED the card. I went from 875 to 700.

This sounds like a hardware issue to me. Replace the card.

XFX is very good about warranty. I had a card that was 2 mos shy of a 3 year warranty and when bad on me. Contact them and they replaced, no troubles.

I may end up rma'in the card. The issue i have is, when i first had the card, it did these artifacts in certain games, recently i re-installed crysis and it worked just fine, it was perfect. Then when i added some more ram, the artifacts returned. Now i have removed the ram etc, but the problem is still there. Also in other games, such as Race driver Grid, the artifacts ONLY appear in the shadows underneath the cars. It is VERY strange, its making me think there is a bad chip on the card that deals with certain shaders or something. I was just hoping i could sort the problem myself and not have to have the hastle of rma'ing the card. Looks like im guna have to send it back though and be without a card for a week or 2 : /

I have just tried what you suggested elari and i underclocked it quite a lot and the problem is still there. It is definately an issue caused by my ram. I have tried removing all but one stick of ram though and still the problem persists. Looks like im just going to have to RMA the card, i should have read up on these XFX cards before i bought it, instead of just reading a review as a lot of people have had issues with these 5870's which is a shame because the card is very good in the games it works with!

Back