• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600:prime95 stress testing questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2ltJoel

Registered
i am using prime95 to stress test my i7-2600 processor. I used the torture test on all 3 different modes. example, blend mode, small FFT mode and the large FFT mode. however, all 3 times i torture test it, my cpu's speed only gets turbo boosted to 3.5ghz instead of the max of 3.8ghz.

But, when i click the benchmark test on the prime95 software, my cpu's speed get turbo boosted to 3.8ghz (the max my cpu can reach with turbo boost).

why is it that my cpu did not turbo boost to 3.8ghz when it was being tortured tested but it rose to 3.8ghz when it was being benchmarked?

what is the difference between torture testing and benchmarking my cpu?

when i torture test my cpu, are all 4 cores being stressed?

i also experienced this before and solved it.

be sure to disable the following. "it helps you to get more stable on the oc that you want"

C1E = DISABLED
C3/C6 = DISABLED

those two controls your processor and temp. it is set as auto for automatic voltage control with the temperature.

also check the :
Over Voltage PPL "i have it enabled now and running @ 4.5ghz i5 2500k"

if i disable those functions as you said, will that lead to instability and overheating of my cpu? i am using stock coolers and heatsink.

and just to ask you, the max turbo frequency of 3.8ghz is only when 1 core is active or is it possible for all 4 cores to run at 3.8ghz?

if you disable those functions you'l get the O.C you want "heat always comes along with speed" the only way you can eliminate heat is with a good cooling system.
it is possible to get all 4 cores at 3.8ghz. "again you just have to bare with the temps if you decide not to get a decent cooling system"

this was what one user told me:
"When you torture test, you use all 4 cores.

When you benchmark and go into turbo boost, The CPU deactivates some of its cores to stay within voltage and power limits."

so if i were to do what you told me, the cpu will now be able to turbo boost all 4 cores to 3.8ghz as there is nothing to limit the cpu to stay within the voltage limits as i have disabled them is it?

what exactly is overvoltage pll? what happens when i enable it?

does the cpu fanspeed and case fan increase by itself when the system/cpu heats up?

thanks for answering my newbie questions haha, im quite new to all this haha

this is what i did.

set multiplier to x45
Turbo boost DISABLED
C1E Support - DISABLED
C3-C6 - DISABLED
EIST - DISABLED
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled " since im in 4.50ghz now "
the rest goes automatic from the bios.

on the bios menu there is a section called Pc health status or something like that go to that section and look for the Cpu Smart Fan Control.

OPTIONS:

Enabled = cpu fan speed is not fixed depending and the cpu temp
Disabled = cpu fan is always running at the max speed
AUTO = this is automatically set by the bios
MANUAL = manually configure PWN/VOLTAGE for the cpu fan "dont touch this one unless you got a cooling with hes own controller"

Overvoltage PLL
OPTIONS
AUTO = Automatically set by bios
ENABLE = allows your cpu to run on a higher voltage "meaning it will still be automatic if you dont touch anything from your bios voltage menu but it will also increase the limit. example if your voltage ppl limit is @ 1.500 it may give you upto 1.800 but still monitors it for better performance"
DISABLED = Overvoltage Pll is disabled = you stay on the stock voltage.

what do you actually want ? to increase the turbo boost ? or the increase the core clock ?

i just wanna turbo boost ALL 4 cores to 3.8ghz.

however, i read online that the turbo boost is only able to boost all 4 cores to a max of 3.5ghz and not 3.8ghz. a frequency of 3.8ghz can only be reached if 1 core is active and the rest are either sleeping or operating at lower frequencies as i have found out from wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

the way i see it there are couple of reasons why 2 or 3 of your processors are sleeping.

first as iv'e said C1E /C3/C6 control = if your temperature goes above 60c it has the ability to automatically stop your cores or get it to a lower speed to get your temps on the safe point. in intel it is automatically set as 60c-90c kill point of the cpu is 99c.

second your voltage is set as default go check in your bios menu on the turbo boost section there is what you called limit cpu voltage /watts that should be set as 95/97 as default and on the right side theres an option to it that says [Auto] set this one to 120 or 150 "just try anything goes wrong shutdown the pc and remove the bios battery"

third there are lots of settings in the bios which is currently set in default and most of them stops your processor speed to get up because of the temperature.

also there is a setting somewhere in the bios that says put your cpu to idle when it reaches [xxx] "certain temperature"

WHAT MOTHERBOARD DO YOU HAVE BY THE WAY ? WHICH POWER SUPPLY ? HOW MANY GIGS OF RAM ?

my motherboard is a h67. my power supply is stock from dell, 460w. i have 8gb ram @1333mhz.

in your case, are all 4 of your cores running at 4.5ghz? as long as your multiplier is at 45 or whatever number it is, it applies to all 4 cores isit?

You have the i7 2600, which is different from the i7 2600k. The latter runs all cores at the multiplier you set, same goes for 2500k.
The non overclockable 2500 and 2600 will act just as you experience.
You can overclock those chips though, by using the BCLK.
But you say you don't want that which is fine.
As for your motherboard, p67, h67, z68, but which brand? Each brand has a different bios approach.
So you need to say which board you have, and then maybe someone can help you in reaching 3,8Ghz for all 4 cores.
If that's possible ofcourse, I don't have experience with that chip, still I read when you overclock, it can go over 4.0Ghz but not for all cores.

for me it goes 45x multiplier and all cores goes 4.5ghz. its very simple again ill tell you.

Turbo Boost Enable
Max Volts [stock says 95 here] "120 and up"
Max Watts [stock says 97 here] "125 and up"

and dont touch any other things than that. check cpu-z it will show you a stock speed, close it then try to run a heavy game then minimize it and check cpu-z it will show you the highest clock speed it can go " take note most of the applications doesn't require 4 cores to run (they don't even get to 50% of 1 core) and if you try testing it with prime95 / linx or intel burn test it will not work AS Ive SAID REPEATEDLY C1E/C3/C6 function is protecting your system from overheating"

ok thanks cool3st. you have been very helpful, i will try it out and see what results i get.
and oh, you know cpuz? it shows the core clock speed as well as the multiplier right? but is it reflective of all 4 cores or only 1 core?

you have 4 cores right ? dont bother about that cause you cant even set 4 cores to run in individual speed. only the bios and the automatic intel R manager can do.
if you want to see everything thats really happening with your system like cores speed and voltage temps go to your bios. just dont worry if some of the cores drops down. cause you dont actually need it and your system detects that it is better to slow it down to keep the temperature level good. thats why if you want all 4 cores to get stable iv'e told you earlier to disable such functions that are causing conflicts on the management of Power and Speed. you cant speed up without using power, you cant use power without producing heat. that's a fact.

HWinfo64 will show you the speed of all 4 cores.

So what do you have? Which motherboard and which cpu? The 2600 or 2600k? Because the 2600k will allow for higher multipliers, the 2600 not.

HWinfo64 will show you the speed of all 4 cores.

So what do you have? Which motherboard and which cpu? The 2600 or 2600k? Because the 2600k will allow for higher multipliers, the 2600 not.

i do not know yet, cause i am not able to check it as im away from home at the moment..im in camp actually..army camp, but that's besides the point. i can only get back to you this friday when i go home :D

and yep, 2600's multipliers are locked. but i think the turbo ratio can be adjusted upwards. take a look at this screenshot,bearing in mind that this screenshot is taken from a 2600k.

http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/Bios-Gighabyte-P67A-UD5-cpu,0101-278368-0-2-3-1-png-.html

as seen, both the turbo ratio and multipliers can be changed on the k version,but do you know if i can change thr turbo ratio on the 2600?

Back