• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From LGA 775 to 1155 CPU Waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jayza92

Registered
Okay so I currently have a q6600 in my XFX 790i Ultra motherboard and i'm due for an upgrade... Now i've been out of the loop for awhile on EVERYTHING. In December, i'm going to be building a new rig with a i5-2500k Sandy. Do I need to get a brand new CPU Waterblock or is it just a different bracket I need? I currently have the Swiftech Apogee. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Now when you say it works decently, how decent is decent? I'm going to be pushing my i5-2500k as hard as I can (4.5+ guaranteed).

If you want max performance, go for a new block, GTZ isn't bad, but it's by no means a top performer anymore. Whether or not it will work is going to depend on your chip...

With a 2600k at 4.5, my Rosetta crunching temps were around 60C on the hottest core. SB isn't nearly as hard to cool as a Bloomfield heat monster. Could I get better temps with a more modern block? Yes, but it only cost me around $15 total for the backplate, universal top plate and shipping. And it does the job pretty well too. For me, that beat spending $60-100 plus shipping for a new block on what essentially is a backup system.

A FYI, I just finished redoing the loop with the GTZ waterblock. I have a [email protected] and a GTX260-216 (55nm) vid card in the loop also. I'm using an RX360 and a HWLabs GTX140 for rads, with some Yate low fans in push pull on the RX360 and some 1100 rpm 140 mm fans in push pull on the GTX140 rad. I did a 1 hour max heat run last night to test the loop with the vid card set to GTX260 FTW clocks using P95 blend to load the cpu and Furmark on extreme mode 1920x1080 and the highest recorded temp on the hottest core was 69 C on the cpu and 44 C on the gpu. Could I get better temps with a newer block? Probably so. Do I need a better block? I don't think so, since that is an extremely unlikely heat load to start with and 69 C is still well within my comfort window for a max temp. Just running BOINC/Rosetta, which loads only the cpu to 100% load, my temps are in the low to mid 50's on that system.

A FYI, I just finished redoing the loop with the GTZ waterblock. I have a [email protected] and a GTX260-216 (55nm) vid card in the loop also. I'm using an RX360 and a HWLabs GTX140 for rads, with some Yate low fans in push pull on the RX360 and some 1100 rpm 140 mm fans in push pull on the GTX140 rad. I did a 1 hour max heat run last night to test the loop with the vid card set to GTX260 FTW clocks using P95 blend to load the cpu and Furmark on extreme mode 1920x1080 and the highest recorded temp on the hottest core was 69 C on the cpu and 44 C on the gpu. Could I get better temps with a newer block? Probably so. Do I need a better block? I don't think so, since that is an extremely unlikely heat load to start with and 69 C is still well within my comfort window for a max temp. Just running BOINC/Rosetta, which loads only the cpu to 100% load, my temps are in the low to mid 50's on that system.

Thanks for this information, it really helped. I have my cpu on a separate loop being cooled by a dual 120mm rad.

Back