• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sculpey clay - not recommended

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Tried this instead of kneaded eraser, epic fail.

I was getting a hang before post with the CPU led illuminated on the cvf. Tried my fx6100 and the 965be, same result on both.

So I dismantled the sculpey insulation, applied on top of what was conformal coating... I don't know what happened, but when removing the sculpey it was especially tacky, and seems to have reacted with the conformal I had applied. The conformable was thoroughly dried overnight with a strong fan, but now the board has goo on it and I am waiting to see if it dries again, before testing the board again.

So anyways, don't use sculpey molding clay - the consistency is almost identical to kneaded eraser, but it doesn't play nice with conformal.

Bummer. I went conformal as I wanted to try the no-mess route instead of my usual vaseline... currently I have a mess anyways, and not sure if the board will be functional. Will update when I test.

where do you use vaseline?

I only used kneaded eraser, no conformal and have never had any issues. I have only used vaseline on my pci-e slot for subzero or my ram slot under my dominace cooler.

I cake vaseline everywhere. CPU, ram, around every surface mount component, caps, over fan headers, etc. That and a couple squares of frost king are all I usually use. After initial application, I let the board warm up before taking it cold - melts the vaseline so it spreads over anything I missed and lets the thermal paste spread.

That has done the trick for me - my cive usually ends each ln2 session dripping wet.

Interesting, good to know.
Sounds like sculpy may be some form of silicone compound.

Hair dryer works good for vaseline removal, it melts and drips out like water. I haven't ever removed it from a mobo though, only gpu - no need to remove it.

The vaseline will leave a permanent residue tho. Can't really remove the film.

cool. I haven't ever had any issues with condesation. when in doubt I cover it with eraser. :p

I don't want to deal with the mess of vaseline. but thanks for the tip on clay.

NP, I only tried it because I was in a rush, couldn't get my hands on eraser, and didn't know better. Now we know. :)

Interesting, good to know.
Sounds like sculpy may be some form of silicone compound.

Sculpey Polymer clay is PVC and contains a plasticizer - a chemical that keeps the clay soft until it is baked.

The plasticizer in the clay has the ability to soften or mar some plastics or other surfaces.

Never set the unbaked clay on good furniture or any other surface that might react with the plasticizer.

Some varnishes react with the clay and become sticky over time.

I think this pretty much explains the reason to "never" use this stuff when insulating a board.
:D

Sebas, you the man. So I plasticized the crap out of my CVF and conformal coating. Greaaaaaaaat. :)

Not giving up hope yet. Still going to take isopropyl and a toothbrush to the board, trying to remove all the residue and leftover clay/plasticizer... Then I'll give it a shot again and see if it comes back to life. Powers on fine and all, just hangs initializing the CPU - guessing thats because some goop is somewhere it doesn't belong, creating a short or something... A proper cleaning and maybe it will come back.

Tried this instead of kneaded eraser, epic fail.

I was getting a hang before post with the CPU led illuminated on the cvf. Tried my fx6100 and the 965be, same result on both.

So I dismantled the sculpey insulation, applied on top of what was conformal coating... I don't know what happened, but when removing the sculpey it was especially tacky, and seems to have reacted with the conformal I had applied. The conformable was thoroughly dried overnight with a strong fan, but now the board has goo on it and I am waiting to see if it dries again, before testing the board again.

So anyways, don't use sculpey molding clay - the consistency is almost identical to kneaded eraser, but it doesn't play nice with conformal.

Bummer. I went conformal as I wanted to try the no-mess route instead of my usual vaseline... currently I have a mess anyways, and not sure if the board will be functional. Will update when I test.

I use Dielectric grease under the CPU socket, applied with a tight Q tip. Then modeling eraser with CPU in socket(I use masking tape on side's of CPU to stop clay from oozing inside the socket) cover level around CPU. Only enough to cover the area under the pot, if I run into the square rectifiers I just goop it over them.
On clean up remove the modeling eraser, clean CPU with alcohol, alcohol on a clean Q tip to clean under CPU socket. Then into the dish washer the board goes, I use a soft tip tooth brush to clean the areas where eraser was and can do inside the CPU socket where the Dielectric grease is. I have just left the CPU socket cover on the board, as the grease does not hurt anything after words. I put the board in the dish washer on gentile cycle. then air dry with a compressed air, followed by putting the board into the oven on 200 degree's for five to seven minutes. Let cool for an hour then eat :rofl:.
I think Hicookie or one of them Elite over clocker's has a video on You tube and it shows him washing his UD7 I've done five boards, all five are booting still.

i throw some simple green in my dishwasher when i do it usually, to keep the vasoline bonded to something other then the walls of the outlet pipe which can otherwise clog slowly if you do this alot.

Sno.lcn (one of our ex-leaders now on PURE) actually talked about running mobos through the dishwasher in an OC-TV interview :D

Sno.lcn (one of our ex-leaders now on PURE) actually talked about running mobos through the dishwasher in an OC-TV interview :D

I do that all the time. They work after I take them out. Its the only sure way to get the Vaseline out of them.

@ IMOG, did this end up to be a fail like my Dragon Skin?

It may be, not sure yet. Board still hasn't posted. I still need to clean it up, there's some sculpey on there yet. Going to take a toothbrush to it with isopropyl, then put it in the dishwasher if the toothbrush and alcohol doesn't get it straightened out... My dishwasher is crap though, has a hard enough time getting coke glasses clean so I don't know how much help that will be.

If that doesn't work, I'll pickup a new CVF at microcenter this weekend and start fresh. Since I already have one, the girlfriend won't notice if I replace it with the same one. :chair:

Most people go top rack, my top rack hardly gets any water as it doesn't really have a top sprayer thingy... just the thing on the bottom has a thingy that pops up and shoots a single stream at the top.

I'm no appliance technician, but from having to hand wash a lot of top rack items I know it doesn't work so well. Should do the trick tho. Hopefully come Monday I will have a working board again.

Back