• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Twin Frozr III Fan issue; Video card taunting me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macros13

Hi all,

It appears, or at least feels like, my video card is taunting me. I bought this card (MSI TWIN FROZR III 6950 OC) chiefly because of the great cooling on it, because I felt this would enable me to reach the elusive goal of having my quietest ever PC.

However, to my great dissapointing my card isn't that quiet at all. Despite never reaching high temperatures it liberally speeds up to keep the damned thing cool, however, I would gladly accept slightly higher temperatures on the card for a lot less noise.

Under stress the card has never reached 68 degrees centigrade and while idling it hovers around 50 degrees..... but is working on 44%!!!!! fan speed.

I then had the idea to start digging around in the bios settings, so I download the rather excellent RBE tool which I used to check on the fan settings. Lo and behold, the bios indicates that the fan should be off at 50 degrees, and only go up to 44% fan around 70 degrees. Manual editing of settings made absolutely no difference, because the second I boot my computer the fan still spins up to 44%, despite being as cool as a cucumber.

Any help with this would be appreciated, as I am about ready to tear my hair out!

Regards,

Bastiaan

Back