• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 6970 Grey Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So I was getting a grey screen crash every now and then when I would play the BF3 beta. My card was overclocked to what is in my sig. I thought it was my power supply not being able to handled it and I upgraded to a XFX 850w. BF3 beta was over by the time I got that but I did a furmark test and some other stuff and it seemed to be fine, no crashes or anything. But it did it again last night while running Mark11. I did some googling and only found one forum that suggested that the Vram may be pushed to high. Temp never go above 63-64C (furmark) as I set the fan to 55% manually when I do this overclock.

Anyone ever had something similar happen? Any ways around it besides lowering the clock? I've never increased voltage on a card, but would not be against it as the temp are well within safe range.

You can try MSI Afterburner to alter the voltages, but if its vram... once the vram hits it's limit, its very hard to get it to go further, no amount of voltage would make it want to go higher, you may be right on the border of maximum stable/unstable.

***** oops. I just realized you have a 6970, not a 5970 lol. I can't read... Sorry!*****

It has to do with the card's VRM limits. I had the same issue. The flickering is because he VRMs feeding the cores and RAM are getting too hot. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done, as there are NO aftermarket coolers except water blocks.

Once the VRMs feeding the cores hit an average of 120C, the card throttles down to 550Mhz on the cores. This is a drawback of the 2 GPUs, 1 card design. The VRMs feeding the RAM modules behave similarly. You can check your VRM temps using the latest GPU-Z.

There is no way to prevent the card from throttling, even after flashing the BIOS. I tried :( As long as the game doesn't push the card over 120C on the core VRMs, the cores should stay at their predefined speed set in MSI Afterburner.

Here is a good link.

***** oops. I just realized you have a 6970, not a 5970 lol. I can't read... Sorry!*****

It has to do with the card's VRM limits. I had the same issue. The flickering is because he VRMs feeding the cores and RAM are getting too hot. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done, as there are NO aftermarket coolers except water blocks.

Once the VRMs feeding the cores hit an average of 120C, the card throttles down to 550Mhz on the cores. This is a drawback of the 2 GPUs, 1 card design. The VRMs feeding the RAM modules behave similarly. You can check your VRM temps using the latest GPU-Z.

There is no way to prevent the card from throttling, even after flashing the BIOS. I tried :( As long as the game doesn't push the card over 120C on the core VRMs, the cores should stay at their predefined speed set in MSI Afterburner.

Here is a good link.

Thanks for the feedback! Im going to read through that link. Im going to check out the latest version of GPUZ. I just had not reinstalled it after putting win 7 on my computer.

Back