• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Monitor - $300 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiaan

I'm going to sell my Samsung P2450, and now I want to get myself a real, decent monitor. I've never experienced anything but TN, so I'd firstly like to know if someone with an untrained eye would be able to see a difference in image quality between a TN and IPS for example?

Anyways, I need recommendations, because this is probably the one area where I'm not completely up to date with the technical side of things.

Like I said, $300 budget. HDMI is a must, and so is port for headphones. Will be used for gaming/movies/series etc.

Currently I'm looking at the Asus ML239H and the LG IPS236V. I read some TFT Central reviews and they seem to be fairly similar, although I think the Asus looks prettier, but I'd take image quality over looks any day.

If you think I have to choose between these two, which do you recommend? Are there any others out there that I should be considering?

Note, it does not have to be something other than TN, but the image quality has to be better than the P2450 because that's what upgrading means.

Any input appreciated :)

Coming from someone who uses 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors, I can say there is a difference depending on use. If you are doing video or photo editing where the colors really matter, then IPS is the clear choice. For someone who is only doing gaming, I don't think IPS is the best bang for your buck. You can still tell the difference in gaming, but you just dont need it. When I walk over to my GF's computer (2x TN displays) playing TF2 it looks really strange - the colors are all kinda bleached out. But this has zero impact on gameplay.

Between the two you posted, they look pretty identical in specs, but the LG would be nicer to have on your desk. From your post it sounds like you are using the monitor speakers - which makes me super sad.

If I had a $300 Budget with no monitors and no speakers, I would get a $150 TN Display and buy the best computer speakers ever made for $150. Thank me later.

In a few years when you have some more cash on hand, get a pair of IPS monitors. You will still be using those speakers 10 years from now.

I just looked up your current monitor, the P2450 - and it seems like a pretty decent model. If you want an upgrade, look for a monitor with 1920 x 1200 resolution. It doesn't seem like much but it really makes a difference in screen real estate.

I'm just planning on using monitor headphone port for when I play Xbox, so I can use my Sennies.

Back