• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Broken display? Or something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I turned on my Eee Slate this morning to take notes in my first class, and everything went fine. Had an hour break till my next class, so I went and did some homework. Right before I got up to go to my next class, I turned my slate back on to check something...and the screen was totally screwy. Lines all over it. It worked fine an hour ago! Didn't change anything, no drive updates, nothing like that.

I just plugged it into my external monitor at home and it works fine, which makes me think it's not a driver issue. The digitizer and everything else works just fine too.

But the REALLY weird thing is that for a split second before you put the computer to sleep or bring it back from sleep, the display looks totally fine. Lasts for half a second at most, and this happens consistently. You wouldn't expect something like a loose cable or a broken part on the motherboard to have that characteristic. Which then makes me think it's software.

Any thoughts? I'm reinstalling the Asus-supplied drivers, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the latest intel ones from their site. I really don't want to send this in to get repaired...big productivity loss.

The last three pictures are taken right as I'm hitting the sleep button. The framerate on my camera is 10 fps, and there's 4 frames of it looking fine before the screen turns totally off, so it seems like it works for 0.4 seconds or so. Same behavior when resuming from sleep, and oddly, when logging in: right after I click my icon on the login screen, it looks normal while it fades out the login screen and fades in the desktop. Then as soon as the desktop is loaded, it goes wonky. Seems like a software issue to me...

Attachments

• DSC04447.JPG
    DSC04447.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04492.JPG
    DSC04492.JPG
    520.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04493.JPG
    DSC04493.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC04494.JPG
    DSC04494.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reinstalled the drivers and there's no change. I popped open the back and everything looked fine...though it's hard to tell, of course. The display also seems to be working fine during boot up, before windows actually start loading.

OK, I used a USB keyboard to boot into the BIOS and still got the same issue. Possibly a wire shorting itself on something? Really weird...looks like I'm going to have to do a pretty thorough disassembly...

Back