• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD / Bios screen twice / slow boot ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CBuffer

Registered
I have a Corsaid 60GB USD3 SSD. I've installed Windows 7 ultimate on the beast. I've installed XFast USB, which is a USB speeding utility from ASrock. I was expecting booting to be fast, but it is slow.

On reboot/reset/start I get the splash screen for the Bios (I have a Asrock Extreme IV mobo). Then I get a notice from the SSD driver saying that the drive could not be found, and telling me to press space to continue (it continues anyway after a moment). Then I get the bios screen again before it starts to load Windows.

In all it is slower than when I load Windows from my 1TB Samsung F3 HD.

Typo - USB3

Yes, latest firmware. The maxewll driver pops up after the bios splash to say there are no drives found, then the bios flash again, then the OS loads from the SSD (even though Maxwell driver didn't think it was there).

Yes. The USB SSD is connected to an internal high speed USB (USB3) connector.

It's possible that the system is booting using USB 2.0 speeds, I don't believe Windows 7 initializes USB 3.0 drivers before and during boot. I'm guessing the speeds once inside the OS look ok?

Speed OK when running. But defeats the purpose it it takes so damn long to get through 2x splash screens and a pause at the driver.

Why not use it with SATA to verify if it is an interface problem or the SSD?
Note that the USB 3.0 ports are not driven by a Marvell controller (SATA 6.0). You could probably disable the Marvell controller in the BIOS to see if it resolves the double POST issue you're experienceing (POST, reboot, POST, then OS boot)

*shame*

I was actually confused. The drive isn't USB at all - it is SATA6.0. I am connected appropriately inside the case, and I get the 6GB transfer speed.

Back