• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (@2 x16 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohioviper

A there any mother boards out that support 2 gpu at 16x ? Im looking for a z68 mb that can do 2 x 16 and is IB ready. Thanks.

There are a few that have the NF200 chip in them which allow 2 x16 slots. Just note that by using the NF200 chip, there is increased latency vs the native 2 x8 so in some situations, going 2 x16 cam be slower.

Besides, there is only a 1-2% penalty for 2 x8 compared to a native 2 x16 setup.

My question now.. and I have posed this to who wrote that article, is does this hold true for modern cards like a 580 which is MUCH faster than the 5870 that was used in the review?

I would assume it is, doesnt the 6990 compare quite well to two 6970s when all are run at the same clockspeed? I mean, its essentially 2 6970s that share x16 worth of bandwidth. I found a review of the asus mars 580x2 on tweaktown that also shows it matching or beating a pair of 580s in sli, on an asus maximus iv extreme z, which is supposed to support up to 3 way configs with x16,x16,x8, so it should be running the pair of 580s in x16 slots.

Of course i could be way off base here, so mabye im worng.

Back