• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q8400 + GA-EP43-US3L + DDR2 800mhz need help in overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IJAHman

I have this set-up and just wondering if I could overclock it properly without causing any damage to my system. Any suggestion and tips for overclocking this up to the highest it could go would be much appreciated. I've read in some forums that Q8400 could go as high as 3.92Ghz but with 1066mhz of ram. Please help me and suggest any cooling set-up too. I'm new to this kind of thing (overclocking) and wanna learn it in the right way.

Here's is my rig :
Mobo : GA-EP43-US3L
CPU : Intel Q8400 2.66Ghz
GPU : Gigabyte GTX 560 OC
RAM : 4Gb (2x2Gb) 800mhz DDR2 (Kingston only)
Chasis : Thermaltake Xaser III
PSU : Thermaltake TR2 600watts

Right now the biggest problem is the FSB limitation of the P43 chipset on the motherboard. It probably get up to 415 fsb which is suitable with your 800MHz DDR2.
You would need a P45 board for higher overclocking....and possibly 1066MHz rams.

Right now the biggest problem is the FSB limitation of the P43 chipset on the motherboard. It probably get up to 415 fsb which is suitable with your 800MHz DDR2.
You would need a P45 board for higher overclocking....and possibly 1066MHz rams.

Thanks Sam. Anyway, do you know how to overclock my cpu. Can you list the step by step procedures in doing it in my mobo?

Your board might have limited overclocking functions....but I'm sure it would do fine.
Since it will NOT be able to overclocks much, NO adjustment maybe required except for FSB increasement. (5~10MHz increment for step)
To keep things simply here are a few keys to keep in mind.

1- Set ram to 1:1 ratio (set ram to default specs & voltage)..you may increase dram voltage a little above rated specs.
2- Increase vcore as needed (though, I don't think it needs much or any due limited overclocking speed of the board)
3- Increase NB (northbridge voltage)
4- Increase VTT if needed.

You should head over this STICKY for overclocking guide C2D & C2Q for better perspective.

Your board might have limited overclocking functions....but I'm sure it would do fine.
Since it will NOT be able to overclocks much, NO adjustment maybe required except for FSB increasement. (5~10MHz increment for step)
To keep things simply here are a few keys to keep in mind.

1- Set ram to 1:1 ratio (set ram to default specs & voltage)..you may increase dram voltage a little above rated specs.
2- Increase vcore as needed (though, I don't think it needs much or any due limited overclocking speed of the board)
3- Increase NB (northbridge voltage)
4- Increase VTT if needed.

You should head over this STICKY for overclocking guide C2D & C2Q for better perspective.

Thanks a lot Sam. I found the thread you link was very helpful. One more thing, any suggestions on what heat sink should i buy?(enough to cool my cpu or make my symtem cooler)

Best value priced and performance....
1- Cooler Master 212 Plus = $30 (might be onsale from various retailer ranging $20~$30)
2- Cooler Master 212 EVO = $35 Lastest model (not onsale from anywhere at the moment)
3- Thermalright HR-02 MACHO = $40 only available at 1 place and 1 place online only!
It looks like Thermalright eliminating the middle man from their latest BEST fruit.
I feel bad for those so called "authorized Thermalright dealer" though.
(3rd choice would be best....a lot of value for your money. I want one...but contesting from buying from one place.)

....Otherwise, there're plentyful of good decent coolers nowaday.
.....and welcome to ours forum. :)

Last edited:
Sam, right now I have 2 sticks of DDR2 @ 800mhz. Planning to buy another 1 or 2 with higher frequency (1066mhz to be specific). Is it still possible to overclock my CPU even though I have different frequencies in Memory. Should it be fine? What would be the settings for the ram or dram etc?

Don't buy ram just yet! Your current rams are not the limiting factor here atm.

Just overclock what currently have listed to the max FSB of the G41 chipset would allow. It probably runs out of breath before your rams do.
Mixing ram is not a good idea...unless it is very good and strong to match with higher speed rams. Then again, if it's that good you could overclock it too. :)

Basically what I'm saying is that if you definitely want to overclock more than 410 FSB, then a P45 motherboard is a must have FIRST. Then secondly, you may need to replace current rams with faster 1066MHz rams (not mixing).

I wouldn't recommend upgrading your system too much as good money will be wasted on dated tech. Unless you get can them in the classified for the cheap.

If I were you, I would rock on and overclock as listed what you have.
Or, replace 3 items: CPU, Motherboard and Rams....FOR:
i5-2500K, Motherboard, and DDR3 rams........WHY?
DDR3 rams are so inexpensive...you can have 8GB for $50
Z68 motherboard can be had for $100 to overclock that i5-2500K like crazy mad and darn fast too....not to mention...it's enery efficient as well. :)

+1 just buy the cooler HYPER 212 and overclock what you have now. If your going to buy new parts just upgrade your system.:popcorn:

Finally got some time OC my system. here's the screenshot I've taken :
78387633.jpg

Please take a look and suggest anything that can improve my sys specially in power consumtion.

Last edited:
Finally got some time OC my system. here's the screenshot I've taken :

Please take a look and suggest anything that can improve my sys specially in power consumtion.

The image tags doesn't work like that, you will have to upload the picture to some site like imageshack and link it from there.

So far my settings are these :

CPU Clock ration : 8x
CPU freq : 400Ghz
PCIE Freq : 100mhz
SPD : Auto
DRAM timing : manual
TIMINgs : 6-6-6-18
CPU Vcore : 1.325v
CPU Termination : normal
CPU reference : Normal
MCH Core : Normal
ICH I/O : normal

DRAM Voltage : Normal

C1E : enabled
CPU EIST : Enabled

If I set my timing to 4-4-4-12, My system won't boot. So decided to stick what is the input timings and I just make it manual

I run Prime95 at Blent test for about 2hrs, and it doesn't have any erorrs. I also run in FFT for about 1;30 hrs and no errors? I havn't test in Memtest yet.

Does my settings are good? If so, I will continue Testing stability in P95 for 24hrs, then Memtest it fo another 24hrs. What would the kind of test I will use in P95 for 24hrs testing? is it Blend, FFT or small FFT?

CPU : Q8400 @ 2.66ghz
Mobo : EP43-US3L
RAM : DDR2 800mhz (kingston only)

Load voltage, temperature are looking good.
Show your CPUZ memory tab as well....is it at 1:1 ratio? If it is....try 555-15 timing if it wouldn't with 444-12

Yes it's a 1:1 ratio as you advice me in this thread. I'll try to post as soon as I can. BTW, am I good for 24hrs Torture Test?

Thnks so much Max, I've already gain knowledge in OC because of your suggesttions and also with this great OVERCCLOCKERS Community!

i'll try to post it asap.

cpuzf.jpg

here's the cpuz on mem tab. i've already change my timings to 5-5-5-15. What will be the effect of this? Goin to be faster?

by the way my SPD is set to 2.66A
my Mem Freq is also 800 the same with the freq of my RAM (800mhz) is it ok?

Last edited:
Looking better! At 800MHz is perfect. Lower latency is better.
Now try again with 454-12 to see it would do it.

Looking better! At 800MHz is perfect. Lower latency is better.
Now try again with 454-12 to see it would do it.

:p sorry for this. But I really don't know where to set this ^ (454-12).
If the 12 is the multiplier, maybe I can't set to that number because I only have 8 on bios and can't go higher than that. 454 is that the cpu freq?:eh?:

Running stable at Prime95 (large FFT) for about 3hrs and 10mins. do I really need to adjust more settings or just continue with thits one?
Can I say that my sys is already stable? I mean this is a On Air OC. been running and stopping Prime for 2 to 3 hrs but without errors. Any suggestions.

BTW, Prime95 p-1/ECM is set to 8mb only? It says that I need use all of my memory to detect mersenne prime slightly etc. What exactly do I need to set in P95. Maybe some setting I haven't adjust is wrong or to weak, that's why I don't get errors.

Last edited:
I was refering to change timings for the memory.

^ First is to SAVE the current bios "SAFE" settings into your Profile by pressing F11 on first screen in bios. Save and Exit.

look under DRAM Performance Control
locate System Memory Multiplier...and change it to MANUAL...that now should allows you to change memory's timings in the DRAM TIMING SELECTABLE section.

I was refering to change timings for the memory.

^ First is to SAVE the current bios "SAFE" settings into your Profile by pressing F11 on first screen in bios. Save and Exit.

look under DRAM Performance Control
locate System Memory Multiplier...and change it to MANUAL...that now should allows you to change memory's timings in the DRAM TIMING SELECTABLE section.

ok. is it better in lower latency? what would b the effect? how about the ECM settings? how much mem should I allow for prime 95 to use.

Tried 454-12, but it won't boot. So maybe I should stick to 5-5-5-12. What do you think? is it a good Oc in 3.2? Is it enough or should i try little more. Or should i go for 24hrs torture test?

Last edited:
Back