• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pci card is to long

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pugsport

as tittle really
i have been given an asus xonar d2x sound card but that car is just to long and blocks the bottom ram tab. so im unable to use that dimm slot. just so happens that the blocked slot is the one i need to use and my idea was to grind away some of the unused circuit board to see if i can make room for both but just want to make sure that it was ok to trim the board down before i did it or i was told to cut the tab off the dimm slot but that seems like a stupid option to me.

its not like i have to use it in this pc but it would be nice to have an ok ish sound card to improve music playback etc

edit: - i should also ask if its worth the hassle of even trying to fit it or if i should look at buying one that i stand a better chance of fitting with out the hassle of cutting it up and making it fit

I would really advise you not to grind it away. Although, aslong as you dont hit any of the circuits... it shouldnt case a problem. and i say SHOULDNT, but i mean, it might be okay, but it could totally kill the card. Tbh youd be better selling it and buying something else.

I would not do that is nick off part of the ram tab before I did that

Back