• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD build (Help i'm a noob)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDJerm

Ok so I just finished my first build.

Lancool PC-K68 case
ASUS Sabertooth 990fx
AMD FX-8150 stock heat-sink/fan
Corsair Vengance 16 GB 1600
Corsair Gamer 700w PSU
2 Gigabyte ATI 6950 Crossfire
WD 500gb HDD (Looking for a better drive)
Blu-Ray Drive (Standard LG Blu-Ray burner)

Not sure where to post my series of questions, but I'm a noob at overclocking and really want to learn from people who have experience. I set the ram up to 1600 cause it posted at 1333, I've tinkered with the CPU and it is running stable @ 4.4 at around 50 deg/c. However I'm not sure if I did this the most efficient way possible. I'm also new to the whole crossfire thing. I'd like to get the most out of these cards. So is there a place I can go to get a good base of info on running this system as best as possible?
:salute:

Corsair is a decent PSU brand but you need to be careful running a pair of 6950s plus an overclocked 8150 on there. Those processors really suck down power when clocked up, and I wouldn't be surprised if you are asking too much from that PSU.

edit: Did a bit of research and you're definitely right on the ragged edge of what that PSU can deliver.

Last edited:
You should be looking at least an 850W PSU for that system, maybe a 1000W.

Back