• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differences between 2600k and 2700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obliv10n

Registered
The title really says it all. Is there anything different other than stock clock speed? You can overclock a 2600k at least 500MHz without really touching anything, as far as I know.

Can the 2700k be pushed farther than a 2600k, or is it the same chip, with the stock multiplier at 35 instead of 34? Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see the reason to spend more money on 100MHz. :shrug:

Most likely just a multiplier bump. I've heard rumors of them being binned for better clocks, but I highly doubt that.

Squat, really.
Just a 1x higher default multiplier. Quite pointless in K form.
If they release a 2700 over the 2600 that's a bit more useful, sort of.

Maaaaaaybe better OCing, it happened with the 1x boost the 990x got over the 980x, the average 990x really flies under LN2 compared the average 980x.

No way of knowing whether the 2700k/2600k will work out the same before release though.
It's certainly not worth waiting or paying more for IMO. If it turns out to have a higher extreme limit it's still not worth more unless you're a bencher.

Intel trying to sell of some surplus silicon before they launch SB-E and IB, they always do this at the EOL of a series, did the same with the E8600, i7-870 and 990X....marketing trick all the way.
Save your pennies and hold off to get a IB rig or six core SB-E chip.

Save your pennies and hold off to get a IB rig or six core SB-E chip.

Depends. If Oblivion has an out of date rig, he could go with a 2600k+z68 gen3 mobo, and upgrade to IB next year. The 2600k will still have a good value on the second hand market...

Depends. If Oblivion has an out of date rig, he could go with a 2600k+z68 gen3 mobo, and upgrade to IB next year. The 2600k will still have a good value on the second hand market...

I have a 2600k atm. I was just legitimately curious if there was a difference. I don't plan on buying one.

I guess you are just like the most of us curious to see what the 2700k will do in real life.
Wont take long before we will read about it.

As for the marketing thing, yep, had this with my E8500 which did very well on low voltages.
This is a plus if you're wanting to upgrade at such moments.
Don't know if it holds any ground, but lately there are several posts about 2500k and 2600k that need more voltage for certain clocks opposed to earlier versions. This wont apply to all ofcourse. But looking at it that way, it would/could be wiser to get a 2700k if one is in the market atm.
Looking at 2500k/2600k history however, it seems totally pointless to spend more for roughly the same.

Back