• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX750 coil whine - Which part should I RMA?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoPK!!!11

I build this rig 2 days ago and one of the first things I noticed was the annoying whining noise the PSU made whilst under high load, I first noticed it whilst doing WEI and more so on benchmarks/games.

Before anyone suggests C1E/Speedstep disabled and Vsync off, tried it... did absolutely nothing for me.

I'm 100% the whining noise is coming from the PSU since I've took the PSU out of the case and had my ear up close to it. (I've seen many others have coil whining issues with Corsairs)

But here lies the other problem, upon switching the GPU(560ti) to onboard the whining stops, you'd think it was the GPU now right? wrong! it gets worse.. I swapped my Vertex 3 120gb for my old trusty 37gb WD raptor......
Noise gone! (with the 560 ti back in of course) so now I'm really damn confused what is causing the PSU to whine. :confused:

Am I just another unlucky one with a bad PSU? is it just a bad combination/build.

Thing is I've seen reports of people with the same problem RMAing EACH of what I've just listed (PSU/GPU/SSD) and still having the coil whining noise.

Anyone have any idea which part I should send back for RMA??

This video shows exactly what I'm experiencing right now with my PSU.

Specs here as I've not bothered to make a sig yet.
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
MOBO
Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HARDDRIVE
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb
CASE
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
COOLER
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
PSU
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31
Card
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Sounds like the PSU is having trouble. I believe Corsair is supposed to be good about replacing ones that have the coil whine though. It is probably happening when a certain rail get put over its edge.

Add a couple of fans and see if the problem disappears. It seems like the issue is tied to the load. Does this happen only when you game?

Add a couple of fans and see if the problem disappears. It seems like the issue is tied to the load. Does this happen only when you game?

Oddly enough.. yes. :-/ nothing cpu or hdd related it seems, prime and atto didn't set off the noise

Yeah, RMA the PSU. No need to put up with noise like that from a pricey maker like corsair. I have the exact model shown in the youtube video and it never makes noise.

Just got a replacement ax750 through RMA, still getting the coil whine :( but it's slightly quieter with this PSU, guess I'll have to live with it.

It's definately something to do with the gpu/ssd/psu combo not working though, ie... replace the card for another, coil whine goes, replace the ssd for a normal HDD.

I really don't get it. but whatever

It sounds like one rail is at or very very near it's max capacity. My PSU can whine when i push it to 600ish watts, but usually it's silent. Try plugging your GPU into a different PCIe connector and see if it still happens.

Back