• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 950 vs I7 2700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dearbeloved

i dont know to much about technical spec and this is also my first post on any computer knowledge forum but can someone tell me what i can expect to see different from moving up from a i7 950 bloomfield to a i7 2700k?

i currently own a 950 and im thinking of picking up a 2700k, im a gamer but havent dug deep enough into the technical side of things.

thanks guys.

dave

It would really depend on overclocking. If your 950 will run 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz, moving to a stock 2700K won't really make enough difference to upgrade. If you're running the 950 at stock, you might see some gains moving to Sandybridge. If you're overclocking the 950, it might be better to wait for Ivybridge CPU's.

I was in the same boat a while back. My i7 920 can do 4.6Ghz, but I run it at 4.2Ghz all day long. I just couldn't justify the cost of a new board and CPU to go to Sandy Bridge.

Yep, Sandy Bridge is a whole different socket and platform. You would need at a minimum a new mobo and the processor. And since SB is dual channel memory, you wouldn't be able to fully utilize all 3 sticks of your present ram except in single channel mode. If you want a 32 nm processor on X58, you would have to go for one of the hex core models like the 970 or 980 and they cost between $500-600.

Yes, the 2700k is a socket 1155 cpu, your 950 is socket 1366 so ya.

i feel like an idiot... im probably going to have a new build in the works then. im sure when ivybridge comes out ill need a new mobo too so i might as well wait and save the cash.

usually it's best to skip one generation of cpu's, or platform. Your current setup is still close to the SB platform as you already figured. The next platform no doubt will offer more benefits to you, just as the SB platform will still be close to that one.

Back