• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI N480 GTX water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creadoris

Registered
I am currently running an MSI 480 GTX.

The card performs great and is very stable. However, when is ramps up while playing high end games, its fan(jet turbine) is really really loud.

So I am considering using a water cooling system. What water coolers would be suitable for a MSI N480 GTX?

Have you read the sticky?

Yes, but no where in there did it meantion what water cooler assembly would be most suitable for an MSI N480GTX itself. I am not after a guide to install or a generalisating on water coolers. I want to know if anyone has the same or simular card and water cooled it. And if so what they used, as it would aid me greatly.

So unless you have something other to say than "Have you read the sticky?" Please dont post in this thread.

Last edited:
Start at the EK site at it's configurator. Also, is it a Reference 580? Components in the same place as the first 580 cards that came out? If so Koolance, EK, Swiftech, umm a few more would fit just fine.

If it's not a reference card then all bets are off, good luck.

First off, you dont need to be so mean when someone suggests you to read the stickies.From the stickies you will learn a bit about WC and you might actually manage to design your loop alone instead of asking general questions in the forums. In fact older members of this forum are here to provide aid in case you we have stucked somewhere, they are not here to design your WC loops.

Now for your question, im using the N480 GTX with an EK FC 480 GTX waterblock. You can check which blocks fit at www.coolingconfigurator.com. The card is reference designed so other blocks might fit if you like. Im using a 360 GTX radiator with 3x Kama Flows at 1900 RPM and im getting 33 degrees on idle and 57 degrees after 3 hours of Furmark.Ambient temperature is 35 degrees.

Sorry, I can get a little righteous sometimes.

Problem solved. I ripped out the card and fitted it with a Accelero XTREME Plus II and now I cant hear the card at max load over the cpu fan (Had to open it up again to see if it was actaully working). Plus my temps have gone down by about 30c.

A bit of a warning with this cooler assembly though, if your card was a tight fit in your case before, it is definitely not going to fit afterwards. Extended my card by 2 inches or so. I had to break out with the disc grinder and drill to make some case modifications. But all is well now and I am really happy with the result.

You saved over $200 easy not going water. Now, when the SLI urge comes[/URL]
I have never seen the point of SLI, my card runs everything maxed out just fine.
I would sooner have one big card than two smaller (or just big) cards.

SLI just seems as though you are introducing the potential for more issues to arise not to mention the obscene amount of power required in comparison.
A topic i am sure that could be argured for hours though really.
At any rate, I am a one GPU man. I'll leave SLI to the mad keen enthusiasts.

I have never seen the point of SLI, my card runs everything maxed out just fine.
I would sooner have one big card than two smaller (or just big) cards.

SLI just seems as though you are introducing the potential for more issues to arise not to mention the obscene amount of power required in comparison.
A topic i am sure that could be argured for hours though really.
At any rate, I am a one GPU man. I'll leave SLI to the mad keen enthusiasts.

Drivers have gotten to the point where in most cases you will see near perfect scaling with SLi or cfx.

adding in a card a couple years down the road is a great way to boost performance for a couple more years for not a lot of investment. did that with my 8800

in the case of nvidia, you can't do triple monitor without SLi.

I personally love my 2 GTX 570s and don't really experience any issues with the dual gpu setup.

in the end though it all comes down to what you want to do. you don't see a point to doing it, so you won't.

I initially was going to setup a triple monitor display so I bought 2 cards.

I ended up just getting a 60 inch tv but still see a performance gain with the second card. i don't get 60fps on bf3 with max settings on just one card, but i do with two!

Back