• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Failure to boot after OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

Last night i tried to OC my CPU to 4.4 GHz. After that change i left BIOS and my PC post beeped then stayed at a black screen, I restarted it and entered BIOS and reset everything to default and booted again, this time at the Windows startup screen (where the 4 little colors come together to form the windows thingy) windows would fail to boot and say there is a windows error. When running the startup repair it says windows cannot fix the problem with this computer, also a system restore wont work. I have also tried the clear cmos button on my motherboard but that fails to work either. I have no clue what i did to cause this, help is much appreciated

did you try a chkdsk at a recovery console?
Sounds like corrupted files to me, which happens with overclocking.
A little late now but what I normally do is this:

1. Install Windows at default clock speeds.
2. Install all drivers and programs I want to have
3. Test for stability.
4. Once stability is verified, make an image onto an external USB drive and disconnect when completed.
5. Start overclocking/tweaking, and keep overclocking with stability testing until I am satisfied.

I always have an image that I know is good in case of file corruption and I create it at base clock speeds. Much like all else, it's in the preparation to overclocking that is important. Overclocking is easy, and so is pushing too far. A little prep beforehand and you can save yourself hours later on when bad things happen.

Thanks i think ill do that once i get my PC working again, so what would be the best fix for this? reinstalling windows?

Back