• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help setting up RAID 1 on existing system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FataLogiC

I recently did a clean install with W7 Ultimate (x64).
I have already set up ALL of my software and reconfigured them to my preferences; there really is a lot (about a 12 hr process). Previously, I used a backup partition simply to have backups of setup files for all my software. I have only recently learned of RAID 0 and RAID 1. Since my backup partition (on a separate internal HDD) is exactly the same size as my OS partition, I decided that I want to use RAID 1.

What software should I use to set up RAID 1 on my existing system? If I must, I could transfer everything over to my 2TB external HDD while I format and set up RAID 1 on the internal drives.
Also, is it possible to use RAID 1 on 'same size' (66GB) partitions rather than the entire 500GB HDD?

Here is my system info and HDD set up:

speccy.png

diskmgmt.png

computerp.png

I want to use RAID 1 on C: and D: only.
Thanks, everyone!

It depends on if you want to do a hardware or software RAID. Does your laptop have hardware RAID support (you can check in the BIOS if it is an option under the drive/sata settings).

If it does, a hardware RAID is generally preferable to a software one as it isn't tied to the OS, although as far as I know the hardware RAID is full HDD or nothing (it doesn't see partitions). Which would require backing up and creating the RAID Array then copying down the backed up data to the space.

Back